Chapter 57

Word Count: 5787

Averie's POV

"Averie, Averie, it's time to wake up sweet girl," Taylor says in a singsongy voice as she rubs my back. I groan and turn to snuggle into her. I don't wanna get up. I'm still tired.

"It's time to wake up, we need to get ready for the day. And Daddy's coming to see us today," Taylor tries to coax me into waking up. I huff and tighten my grip on her when she tries to un-cuddle me.

"Come on, we've gotta get going. We can even have chocolate chip pancakes," Taylor suggests.

"Cuddle," I counter.

"You always wanna cuddle," Taylor sighs, making me scrunch up my face as I pull away to look at her properly. What's that supposed to mean? I do want to cuddle. I wanna know I'm safe and loved and that someone is here for me. I frown at her, not sure if I'm disappointed or just upset by her reaction. I'm not asking for too much, right?

"It's okay, you're just my little cuddle bug," Taylor smiles softly. I'm not sure if she means that. She just said that sometimes cuddling makes her sad.

"I love cuddling with you too, however, we need it take this cuddle party to the bathroom," Taylor urges me as she scoots us up and out of the bed.

I let Taylor do all the work. We brush our teeth and comb our hair. Then we get dressed and go to the bathroom. Now we're in the kitchen, Taylor turned on a random video for me to watch while she cooked. I don't know why I'm feeling extra clingy today but I watch her cook instead.

She smiles every so often when she catches me looking at her. I giggle when she makes silly faces. Then it reminds me of the silly faces that my Mummy used to make. Taylor explained to me that Mummy is dead so she's not coming back. She also told me that Daddy has to take me to London to finalize my change in custody and attend my Mummy's funeral. I'm scared to admit that I don't want to go without Taylor.

I love living with Taylor. She makes me feel better and she always listens to me when I need help or just wanna show her something cool. She reads me stories from old books that she said she read with her Mom. Her mom is nice too. She's a lot more patient than my grandma is on most days, especially that day I tried to run over the cats. I wasn't sure if my car could do it. It ran over some markers just fine so I wanted to try.

Even when Taylor works she still takes care of me. It's so different compared to what Daddy used to do. He doesn't call often, and it reminds me of the last time he left me. It's not surprising to me, disappointing but not new.

I can tell Taylor and Daddy are still fighting. She doesn't mention him as often and when she does she always frowns. I don't like it when Taylor is sad, so I'm gonna have to have a talk with Daddy.

We read a new book yesterday about parents and it made me sad because I don't have any parents like the kids in the book so. When I grow up, how do I know I won't be lonely? If Daddy and Taylor fight and breakup like Daddy and JJ, then what'll happen to me?

"Averie? Daddy is gonna be here soon, is there anything else that you want to do, besides color?" Taylor gently stroked the hair out of my face as I sat on the floor of the living room. I have my nebulizer mask on so I can't do much. Taylor has been spending time with me when I have my medicine, just like Mummy used to. Although she probably does it because I cry when she leaves me alone.

One time in Rhode Island I barged into her secret work meeting. There were a lot of people there and they all screamed when they saw me, then Taylor's friend Tree came and hauled me off. I tried to yell stranger danger but everyone just laughed. I was so upset that Taylor's Mom had to get Taylor. Apparently, she was in the other wing or a different room than the one I'd barged into. But Taylor still took the time to come see me. She cuddled with me and rocked me back and forth. She even sang me a few songs as I fell asleep. When I woke up again later that night, she was right there beside me as I cried about not having a mummy.