Chapter 40

I envision Averie to have a similar side eye glare! 😂

Word Count: 1727

Taylor's POV

The following day, Joe and I kept our distance not wanting to start any more conflicts or drama. It was childish, but I just wanted to have a good day with everyone. It was overcast and rainy, so we spent the day inside playing. James' current obsession is the Disney Princesses, so we watched a few of those movies and colored in the morning. Blake's girls napped in the afternoon, while Averie was wide awake. I think a vital thing that we forgot was the time change and how hard it was for Averie to get on the US time the first time she was here. I have no idea what she was doing last night but right now she's soaking up all the attention.

"Alright, little chef, are you ready to make the best cookies ever?" Selena grinned, a little mischief in her eyes.

Averie nodded eagerly from her spot on the kitchen helper's stool. I bought it last year for James, and it works perfectly for her too. "Yes!"

I handed Selena an apron before tying a child-sized one around Averie's small frame. "I think we should start with the chocolate chip ones, what do you think?"

"Works for me, as long as I get to taste some cookie dough!" Selena agrees.

"Yay!" Averie cheers, clapping her hands together.

Averie loved tasting all of the ingredients, even the flour, which was hilarious because she made the most disgusted look as she tried to spit it out. "What did I tell you, flour is not meant to be snacked on," Selena giggled as she tried to snap a picture of the poor girl.

"It's yucky, bleh," Averie wiped her tongue on her arm trying to get the taste off.

"Here, have some some water," I handed her, her kitty-cat cup.

"Bleh," Averie made one more face before trying to inhale her water.

"Hey, Nugget, once you're done baking, can you come sit and get your meds?" Joe asked walking into the kitchen.

"No," Averie didn't even spare him a second look.

"Nugget, Uncle Tommy and I made a special trip today to go pick up a nebulizer for you. It's important that take your meds because they help keep you healthy."

"No," Averie grumbled crossing her arms.

"Nugget, I'll come get you when you're finished. You can't just say no." Joe huffed, before turning on his heel and leaving.

"I hate my Daddy," I hear Averie quietly seethe.

"Aves, do you wanna put the sprinkles on these sugar cookies?" Selena tried to redirect her, skipping over the concern and awkwardness that was Joe and her exchange.

"My name is AVERIE!" Averie shouts at her with quite the attitude.

"Oh," Selena pauses trying to think of how to answer that, when I jump in.