Chapter 35

TW: minor mentions of ED at the end

Word Count: 3231

Nobody's POV

Averie had several nightmares that night but not once did she work up the nerve to go see Taylor or Joe. She stayed hidden in her room with the cats. When the sun peaked through the windows, she cuddled Daisy close and dragged her blanket down the stairs. She had gently tucked Piglet in upstairs. He reminded her of Clara so he had to stay away.

"Dibbles? Mere-y?" Averie called out to the cats as she got comfortable on the couch. They both flock to the young girl who looks so tired. It was like they were her protectors. Averie refused to sleep after her second nightmare. She didn't want to see Joe or Taylor after Taylor denied her last night. She was so confused and felt so helpless. She wanted to feel loved but at the same time, she felt like a pawn in someone else's game.

She didn't know how to work the TV so she just pretended it was on as she stroked Meredith's fur. Every so often her eyes would close but she forced them back open. She didn't want to sleep, she was too scared.

Averie stayed there until the sun was high in the sky. The big windows in the living room illuminated the entire apartment. She had wanted to go out on the balcony again. But the door was locked and the blinds were shut tightly against it. 

Averie explored the kitchen looking for a snack but nothing looked familiar. She didn't want to eat something and have Taylor get mad at her that would be very bad. What if Taylor sent Averie to go see Clara?

As the morning light grew brighter, Averie's feelings of neglect and confusion overwhelmed her. She sat back on the couch, thumb in her mouth, trying to piece together the scattered fragments of the night before.

It was nearly ten a.m. when Joe woke to the light seeping into their shared bedroom. Taylor was still sleeping, but he was surprised that Averie hadn't come in to wake them. He checked the baby monitor to see Averie's bed was empty. Oh crap.

He rushed out the bedroom door hoping to find her and the apartment still intact. Joe searched high and low until he found Averie cuddled on the couch with the cats staring a hole in the wall.  Joe could see the exhaustion in her eyes like daylight, she hadn't slept well if at all.

Joe headed into the kitchen, attempting to brew some coffee and find a remedy for the headache that had plagued him since the previous night. He hadn't slept well, burdened by a phone call from Averie's absent mother, Clara.

Averie watched him pass by. She longed for her dad's attention, but he seemed distant and lost in his thoughts. She just didn't know how to tell him about all the feelings that she was having.

Averie's thumb sucked loudly in her mouth as she approached her father with a quivering lower lip. She tugged on Joe's shirt, attempting to get his attention. "Daddy," she mumbled through her thumb, her voice barely audible.

Joe, lost in thought, turned to see his distraught daughter. He crouched down to her eye level, but the frustration and fatigue in his eyes were apparent. "What is it, Nugget?" he asked, trying to understand what Averie wanted

"Swing?" Averie mispronounced sleepily.

"You wanna go to the park?"

"Noo," Averie whined.

"Okay, what do you want?"

"Swing!" Averie demanded. Averie's voice was muffled by her thumb, making it nearly impossible to decipher her words. Frustration welled up inside her as her little heart ached for her father's comfort and understanding. She tried to pull her thumb from her mouth to speak more clearly, but it was a difficult habit to break.