Chapter 8

Word Count: 2182

Taylor's POV

"Remind me again, where is the car seat?" I frantically ask as I searched the apartment while Joe is on FaceTime.

"I don't know I thought it was in the closet but you just said it wasn't. Would you be able to swing by set and grab the one out of my car?"

"I'll ask Greg."

"She gets out at two?"

"I believe so," Joe nods.

"Believe or know?" I repeat in frustration. Why doesn't he know this?

"It's on the fridge," he explains. I shuffle around his apartment to find her school schedule.

Joe's mom was originally going to pick up Averie today but she had an emergency session come up so Joe told her I would. Now I have no idea where the nursery school is located, how to pick up a child from school, or even if the girl still likes me. She's been giving me a side eye look all week. I never anticipated having such beef with a three year old.

"Okay it says 2:30 on Thursdays, does that sound right?" I ask after reading the fridge schedule.

"Yeah, I think I said 2pm cause that's when I leave," Joe corrects himself, but that just worries me further. How doesn't he know this stuff by heart?

"Okay, are you on set or on location today? I can't get in your car if you aren't there," I remind him because I don't want Greg and I to drive out there only to not be able to get the car seat.

"I'm on location," he sighs as if he just remembering. Boys are dumb - how do I always forget that?

"Does your mom have a car seat?"

"Yeah, almost everyone does," Joe explains with a nervous look on his face.

"Can I swing by her work?" I follow up, even though I've never met Elizabeth I'm sure she wouldn't be mad if I had to meet her under these circumstances.

"Yeah probably, plus she can show you how to install the car seat," he informs me. Are they tricky to install? Do you not just put it on the seat and strap the kid to it? Maybe Greg knows how to help? He'll be with me so between the two of us, there's gotta be away for us to get home safely.

"Can you send me her number please and I'll call her?"

"Yes! I'll text her ahead of time so she actually answers," Joe agrees.

"When Averie comes home from school, what does she normally do?"

"Um I usually ask if she wants a snack, then sometimes she tired and lays down but other times she energized and wants to play," Joe explains, clearly there's no set schedule. That surprises me because Joe has been on military Dad mode for the entire time I've seen him with her.

"Okay, so it's whatever she wants?" I ask.

"Pretty much, I usually just let her go off and do as she wants. I usually have extra work stuff and dinner to make," Joe tells me which explains why he doesn't have any set scheduled for her. He just lets her watch herself, no engagement or anything with the poor girl.

"Okay it's one now, I'm gonna call your mom and swing by her work. I'll text you after I pick her up," I tell him.

"Okay, thank you, Love!"

"Of course. Bye Babe," I reply before hanging up.

I call his mom directly after because I don't want to pick up Averie without having her car seat. I know those are super important based of how much time Blake has tried explaining to me which car seat she bought for James and why.