Chapter 52

Word Count: 4213

Averie's POV

"Good morning, darling," Mummy gently shook me awake. I squinted my eyes at her as she smiled lovingly at me. Today is a no-school day, so I get to spend the whole day with Mummy.

I tried to rub the sleep out of my tired eyes but Mummy stopped me, saying, "Let's not do that, it'll irritate your eyes. We're going to the zoo today with Brandon."

"With the animals?" I asked blinking as my eyes adjusted to the bright light.

"Yeah, with all the animals, doesn't that sound so fun?" she grinned and I nodded in agreement. Mummy let me wake up slowly as she picked out an outfit for me to wear, then she changed my nappy and helped me get dressed. We brushed our teeth together before going to the kitchen. I like brushing our teeth together, Mummy always makes funny faces in the mirror.

I rolled my eyes and glared at Brandon when I saw him in the kitchen. Doesn't he have his own home? Why is he always at my Mummy's home? He's so annoying. He's also really bad at tea parties, playing kitty-cats, and even hide and seek. He doesn't know how to hide and I don't like it when he gives up early instead of trying to find us.

"Good morning, Averie," Brandon smiled over the mug of his coffee. I am already annoyed by this man and I just woke up. I turned around abruptly reaching my arms up for Mummy to pick me up. She giggled and lifted me onto her hip.

"I guess she's a little grumpy this morning," Mummy explained as I snuggled into her embrace. I'm not grumpy, I'm annoyed. I just want this man to go away. I want Mummy all to myself. My parents need to stop bringing home strangers. I have literally been here for almost three weeks, can't Mummy spend a little more time focused on me and not him?

Mummy cuddled with me all morning. She even fed me breakfast which was pink yogurt and granola. Then during my medicine time, she read me a story. It could've been better if she took off my thumb guards but she only does that when it's bath or shower time. I don't like them. They're annoying and make my hands feel bulky. Thirty minutes is a long time to sit still with this silly mask on but Mummy makes it feel better. I like it when she does that because Daddy never did that. Taylor did it a few times but she was busy usually. Mummy likes to boop my nose and it makes me giggle, so much that I even forget that Brandon is here.

Not long after we headed out to the zoo. I love going to the zoo. I love seeing all the animals but I don't wanna go with Brandon. Mummy held my hand tightly as we walked through the zoo entrance, and I stuck close to her, keeping my eyes on the ground. Brandon walked on the other side of Mummy, trying to talk to me, but I ignored him.

"Hey there, Averie! Look at that big elephant over there. Isn't it amazing?" Brandon's voice is too loud, and I don't want to look at the elephant. I just want it to be quiet. I lean into Mummy's leg faking my shyness as I pouted internally.

We stopped at a bench to eat lunch. Mummy unpacks sandwiches and juice boxes from her bag. I picked at my sandwich, not hungry anymore. Brandon tried to make me laugh by pretending his sandwich was a dinosaur, but I just frowned at him.

"Come on, Averie, try some of your sandwich. It's delicious!" Brandon held out a piece of his sandwich to me, but I shook my head and turned away.

When we finished eating, we went to see the monkeys. I'm not really interested, but Mummy and Brandon seem excited. I held Mummy's hand as we walked, feeling a little safer with her beside me.

"Look at them swing from tree to tree, Averie! Isn't it fun?" Brandon's enthusiasm is too much for me. I just want to go home. I was starting to feel a little sick.