Chapter 33

Word Count: 1989

Taylor's POV
It was the first morning in a long time that I woke up peacefully. No one was kicking me or shaking me abruptly like it was an emergency. That was when I noticed that Joe was already out of bed which probably meant that he woke up with Averie this morning. I can only hope she slept a little longer than yesterday. She was so cranky yesterday night. Everything was a struggle.

I pulled my phone off the charger and headed into my ensuite. I brushed my teeth and used the bathroom before changing out of my pajamas and into some comfy clothes. I passed Olivia on the stairs and Meredith on the couch before heading into the kitchen.

"Good morning!" Joe greeted me with a smile.

"Hi!" Averie shouted from her spot at the bar. She seemed to be coloring as Joe was cooking or maybe plating food. It didn't smell like he was cooking.

"Good morning," I reply giving Joe a quick kiss before moving to give Averie a hug, making her squeal.

"We were thinking that maybe we could have breakfast on the balcony. Averie is very worried that the cats will escape so she isn't sure that she wants to go out. I do however think some sun could do her some good regardless," Joe suggested calmly. I'm assuming the morning was a little rough based on the glare Averie gave him when he mentioned her not wanting to come with us.

"That's fine with me, however, I can't guarantee it'll be one hundred percent private. My addresses are still public to the world," I grimace.

"It's okay with me if it's okay with you. I'm not gonna push either way," Joe gives my hand a gentle squeeze.

"It's a nice day out, so why don't we enjoy it," I shrug. I'm nervous because I know it's a fairly public place but I don't wanna live in fear forever. It's just one time and it's pretty early.

"That sounds good to me. This morning we picked up some pastries and coffee. Averie tried her first Starbucks which was a strawberry lemonade I think," Joe shares.

"Oh wow, you must've been up early. What'd you think of Starbucks?" I turned and asked Averie.

"I had cake for breakfast!" She shares as she continues to color what looks to be some sort of animal.

"Oh wow," I affirmatively nod.

"She ate it before we even got our drinks," Joe chuckles.

"She has quite the sweet tooth," I laugh, combing my fingers through her knotted hair. Joe must've taken her out in her pajamas.

"No, I don't! I have white teeth," Averie declares making us both laugh.

"A sweet tooth means that you like candy and sugary things like chocolate or cake," I gently explain to her.

"Oh, then yeah, I have lots of sweet teeth," she agrees.

Averie carries her lemonade and animals out to the balcony. She takes great care to get them all situated on the lounger. It's cute to watch her make this place like her own.

Joe and I sit at the small table with a few pastries in between us. We both sip on our coffees that he generously warmed up for us. He tells me what happened this morning with Averie and we reflect on how well last night went.

Averie comes over to join us when she gets bored of lounging. She slides onto my lap and plays with her animals making them have mumbled conversations which only she understands. I share a warm smile with Joe every so often as we talk, occasionally pausing to listen to Averie's conversation.

We fall into a comfortable silence, listening to Averie babble between her animals. "You're so cute," I interrupt her.

"I know," she nods agreeably, a slight pink painting her cheeks. It makes me giggle as I wrap my arms around her.