Chapter 11

Word Count: 1536

Averie's POV

I was in the back of the car strapped in my seat but this wasn't Daddy's car or anyone's car that I remember. I scan the car looking for clues when someone interrupts me.

"Are you tired Aves?"

"Noo," I answer but it sounds mumbled, it must be the paci that's in my mouth. I just noticed that. I miss my paci some days.

"That's okay, I promise we'll be there soon," she tells me before turning the radio up. The louder the music, the quieter the sirens.

I didn't know we were in trouble but I know I felt scared. That one song played again, the one that haunts my dreams.

"The rest of the world was black and white
But we were in screaming color
And I remember thinking

Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods yet?"

I don't know why because we weren't in the woods so it wasn't very fitting but JJ liked it. JJ continued to move the car quickly in and out of lanes as we moved faster and faster, I clutched tightly to my piglet that magically appeared in my hand.

"Aves, it's okay, it's okay, mommy's got you," JJ tried to calm me as she reached back to squeeze my leg. She's not my mommy. My mommy is nice and she's being mean. I didn't even realize this is the part of the chase where I was crying, sobbing profusely.

"You're okay, Aves, I promise. It's all going to be okay," she tried to soothe me but it wasn't working. I was scared. I am scared, even now, when I know the ending. But maybe it'll end differently the time?

"Aves, you need to stop crying, please. I'm trying to concentrate," JJ's voice grew cold as I cried harder. I'm scared, why isn't she scared?

She continued to drive recklessly as I continued to cry my eyes out. Everything felt like it hurt, like my car seat was burning my skin and my pacifier failing to silence my voice as if fell from my mouth.

"Averie Elizabeth Alwyn, shut the hell up," JJ's voice came out like a slap to the face, in fact, she did turn around to hit my leg that time.

"Aves, if you don't shut the fuck up, I'm going to give you the punishment of your life when we get to our destination," JJ screamed at me. I don't like it when people scream, it reminds me of her. I cuddle my piglet close and retract my legs closer to my small body.

Then that's when it happened. In the blink of my eye, we were being thrown across the road in the air. It's what they call a rollover accident due to reckless driving. I remember JJ faintly telling me she's sorry and she loves me but then all I remember is pain. I remember someone carrying me away from the car but all I felt was pain. They had given my piglet to hold but I still felt pain. My clothes must've been wet. After all, I'm fairly certain I had an accident because I was so scared. They cut my clothes off and I remember them saying that the bodily fluid was from me and the blood must've been from JJ. I don't know what happened exactly but I remember her nose was bleeding and she didn't look normal. It was terrifying to see her lifeless body stare back at me as we hung in the car.

I screamed and screamed until they pushed my paci into my mouth again. They had to sedate me and I remember being held down as I cried and the doctor kept trying to put my paci back in my mouth. They wanted me quiet like JJ did. Does that mean it's my fault? I was scared and needed comfort but that doesn't make this my fault.