Chapter 22

BEN stared at the monitor with a frown, shaking his head as he looked over the screens.

"Me? Wrong?" He snorted, "don't get me started...I was the one who led you bastards there in the first place!"

He wasn't on the phone, only talking to himself as he worked his way through the files on the computer, the giant databank he had...permanently "borrowed" currently connected to the computer. Masky had called him, berating him about the cameras being wrong in the first place and that it was purposefully set to look like that was the entrance.

"How was I supposed to know? Huh?" BEN snapped to himself, repeating the conversation over in his head. The green electricity emitting from the tips of his fingers grew brighter for a moment and he pulled his hands away.

Restoring the bank to its natural state had taken BEN a while. Even with the fall of the facility happening only months ago, they had made sure to wipe as much data as they could to hide; they being the other party in all of this, not the killers. It was a good thing BEN was connected to most of the facility's resources or else he wouldn't have known where to look first.

And now, he had the most sensitive information at his fingertips, but out of all the files stored in the database, one caught his eye. It was named, "Lure", simpler than the others. For a while, the blond thought it to be a trap, a virus hidden inside if anyone malicious were to find it, but, even if it was, BEN could just retrieve the data, right? He was, according to some, a literal virus as well.

BEN opened the file.

Inside, there were two more items.

A document, and another file called, "photos_campsite". He opened both, one having its own tab.

The photos were uninteresting at first, just images of scenery. A lake, a lot of pictures of the forest, some flowers...then, in the corner of one of them, there was a small face poking out behind a tree. BEN continued, the child becoming more and more common as time went on. A picture of her smiling at the camera, holding up a small fish on a boat in the center of the lake. Another of her blurred, running in a flower field. Then one of her eating a s'more in the dark of the campfire.

Only then, did it click. Her shortened h/c hair and the same e/c eyes. These were all pictures of Y/n.

Then, the picture after that made BEN pause.

The view was clear, a shimmering greenish-blue lake below with the sun barely rising off in the distance, over the many trees. He tapped the right arrow to continue.

A sigil was engraved into the dirt. There were candles surrounding the marker. The one taking the picture was clearly trying to summon something malevolent, and whatever would appear there would have clearly made a joke out of them and killed them out of pure spite...but the sigil was wrong, oh-so-wrong.

BEN knew that it was possible to summon demons using various methods, hell, he's seen it happen himself, but BEN never knew someone could fuck it up so badly.

Quickly, BEN tapped over to the document.

2/14/XX

This plan will finally allow my dreams to come to fruition. My eldest daughter shall never know of this, and I will keep it that way until she is ready to learn.

We've been to this place many times, sometimes with her mother, but now that the little one has been born, she has not been able to join us. That is fine. I enjoy my time here with anyone, to be honest. It's freeing out in the open, in the forest, where I know I will soon achieve the needs to continue.

I only leave when I know she is asleep, but sometimes I wonder if she knows that I leave her for a large amount of time... That does not matter. Anyways, the spot is perfect for the ritual. I just need to bring the necessary supplies a summon it...and all will be complete.