Chapter 26

Everything...everything was a blur.

She felt the hands of someone grabbing her before she could swing the nth time over the body that lay still before her. But, it no longer looked like a body.

He was dead, he had to be.

Y/n's body collapsed, her hands grasping at her face as tears swarmed her vision, though, before she could sob, the wetness of her hands caught her attention. Red, her palms were wet and sticky, and she had just touched her face; her left hand, wrapped in bandages, sagged slightly, and loosened. Her body shuddered and she quickly scrambled back, away from the brutal scene. Two pairs of hands tried grabbing at her again.

"No," she sobbed, one hand grabbing at her injured shoulder, unknowingly sending prickles of pain down her arm, "no!"

"What the fuck did you do?!"

A recognizable voice, but Y/n couldn't will herself to turn toward the speaker.

"I-it's not m-my fault!" Toby. That was Toby, right? Her hands, even though they were covered with blood, just held his axe a moment ago. It was gone, somewhere in the grass, or with someone else entirely.

Her body was now curling into itself as the scene replayed itself over again in her head. Blood flew in the air while the crunch of bone repeatedly came from the body jolting on the ground each time she hit it with the head of the axe.

Over and over...

And over and over and over and-

"F-fuck!" She screamed. Her head was pounding with either adrenaline or the reality-crushing situation.

The sudden jolt of her stomach caused Y/n to raise a hand to hover over her lips for a brief moment as if to clamp it over her mouth to keep her stomach from releasing whatever contents it had, but the sight of the blood that still covered her palms and the pads of her fingers just made her even more nauseous.

The girl scrambled to her feet, ignoring the half-argument and concerned voices that called after her. She didn't know where she was going, not a damn clue, but one of the only things she knew...-

-is that she had to get out of here.

A taste of metal and something bitter bloomed in her mouth as she stumbled into the closest, fake forest that she could see. Y/n paused for a moment to spit out whatever was building up and glared at the spatter of blood. She licked her lips, brows furrowing as she mindlessly continued forward.

It was...relatively peaceful. Somewhere behind her, she could definitely hear her name being called, but Y/n just wanted to ignore it. Just for now; just for a few minutes. A few minutes where she could be alone.

The h/c-haired girl found herself dragging her feet into another clearing. It was smaller, with trees lining the area around her and the grass not as tall as before. She dragged herself to the right, sliding against a random tree she chose for herself before finally sitting down. All her wounds, worries, and thoughts vanished to exhaustion.

Her fingers were twitching- no, they were shaking. Her eyes narrowed at them, trying to control her body, trying to get herself to stop; but she couldn't. Y/n lifted her hand, immediately regretting doing so as a sharp pang of pain shot up her arm, but she decided that she was already through the motion, and might as well continue.

The blood that stained her palms had been somewhat wiped away from her rushed actions before. She rubbed her hand on her currently dirtied hoodie and turned it back to check on it. Now only a lighter shade of red stuck to her skin, sticky and uncomfortable.