Epilogue - Eyeless Jack

"Eyeless Jack."

She never had any negative interactions with the doctor. Most of their interactions were on neutral terms, like in the maze, or positive. Y/n wouldn't say that he held any ill will towards her either.

There came no response from the entity that held her hand, but she waited for a response or something that gave her a sign that he acknowledged her choice... The only thing that gave her an odd feeling about the situation is the emptiness that she now noticed in her palm. So, slowly, Y/n opened her eyes.

The world came to in a blur of deep greens. She found herself standing outside and right in front of a small building, a cabin, but her mind still spun as the world did.

Her legs felt like jelly, unfamiliar with the sudden change in scenery and she fell to her knees. Her stomach churned and she shut her eyes again with a furrowed brow, attempting to regain control over her spinning mind. Y/n gripped the cloth of her hoodie tightly where her heart beat hard against her chest. Calm, she told herself, calm down.

After taking a small breather, she slowly peeled her eyes open back to the scenery around her. She was correct in assuming that she was in a forest, the terrain overgrown and wild despite the trees being void of leaves. Instead, they were tall and spindly. Y/n turned her attention to the cabin she knelt before and slowly got to her feet. There was still a pounding throb in the back of her head, but she forced herself to ignore it for now, make sure you're safe, she thought.

The dead leaves from the bare trees crunched under her feet as she approached the front of the cabin slowly. Something deep in her gut told her that she knew what this place us, maybe even where, but she couldn't think of a time when she had seen this place before. It was a small building, small, but quaint. There were no windows on the front of the cabin, so she couldn't tell whether it was used or not.

Her first instinct was to use the handle of the door and reached out slowly. Though, her hand stilled, fingers ghosting over the metal of the door when she heard a few thuds behind the door, items falling onto the floor of the interior.

"My, god! Fucking-!" A sharp yell as one more slam to the ground rattled the door, this one belonging to a person rather than what seemed to be items beforehand. Her ears had picked up on the voice, registering it to be a familiar one. Y/n moved forward quickly now, grasping the metal knob and twisting it, pushing the door inwards as it had been left unlocked.

When the door opened wide, Y/n took one step inside and paused at the sight before her.

Eyeless Jack was in the process of sitting up but halted in his action as he heard the cabin door open. She saw the way his shoulders relaxed under the few seconds she had stepped into the cabin and only assumed he had realized it was her, somehow.

Items were scattered across the floor, most of them originating from a small table placed near the middle of the room where it now had been tipped over.

Silence engulfed the room until Y/n found her voice.

"Do...do you need any help?" She had no clue what to say, so the offer just came from her lips with an amused look crossing her eyes. She saw the way Eyeless Jack's clawed fingers tapped against the wooden floor and he got to his feet quickly.

"No," he seethed, "close the door. You're letting the cold air in."

Y/n tilted her head off to the side and stepped inside one more time so she wasn't standing in the doorway. She closed the door gently, the cylinder of the lock clicking in place.

Y/n watched Jack gather the items from the floor into one pile and pull the small table up on its legs. He then haphazardly placed each item back on top of the smooth surface, standing on his feet with a huff while brushing himself off. As the grey-skinned man did so, he paused, lifting his head in the air, then directed his attention towards Y/n.