[6] Rat's Advice

"Astaroth and Clarissa still aren't back. Are you sure they're alright?" Vixen has been subconsciously poking at his broccoli for the past half hour, Katherine couldn't even take a bite because of the tension in the room, Orias was eating like normal.

"They? Or you mean she? I know you aren't worried about that dickhead."

"I'm worried about both of them." He narrows his eyes at the duke.

"Yeah right. As long as they're together then I'm sure your sweet lady is just fine."

"That doesn't help, I need to go find them."

Orias sighs. For the first time he sees his long time friend begin to lose his composure and ability to make calm decisions.

"How abouuut... We give them another week and if they aren't back yet we go look for them? I'll come with you."

"I'll come with you guys as well!"

"No you won't Katherine."

A dejected expression forms on her face and she slumps into her seat.

"Three days." Vixen barters.

"Four."

"Fine."

"You three please eat up now... The food I cooked is going to get cold!" Peter begs. He thought the absence of Clarissa would give him ease but the atmosphere surrounding his friends was no better. And no one was around showering him with praise for his cooking.

Before he could progress on that thought, Peter recalled a conversation he had with a fellow rat that was rather important.

"Everyone! Since most of you aren't eating anyways, I have personal news to share! I might be a father!"

"Huh." The three of them simultaneously looked at the rat. "What do you mean might."

"This and uh hehe that happened and well, the lady isn't sure if it's mine."

Disappointed noises come out of the three and they rush to finish the food on their plates to leave.

"I guess it wasn't a good time for this."

The rat watched as they all left, and then quietly followed Vixen to the Smithy where he was studying Clarissa's designs alone.

Since Clarissa's creations were the most well done, and completed faster than the others, the guys that used to work at the smithy felt like they were put out of commission and quit. To Vixen, she was inspiration to make better things.

"Rough times isn't it?" Peter climbs up to the cluttered table where the man was looking for some tools.

"I've gone through worse things."

"But not a heartache. I say go and be a hero! Don't bother waiting on that piss brained duke and do what your heart so desires!" He says dramatically, raising a hand up and holding the other to his chest.

"So I'll take the advice of a rat instead?"

"Hey don't say I'm lower than that guy! That's an insult."

"You're right, sorry. But Orias had a point, if she's with Astaroth she'll be fine." Vixen continues searching for the tool he was looking for, already starting to forget what he needed.

"Yeah she'll be safe, but what if he wins over her heart before you do!? It's just the two of them together, saving their asses, fighting side by side."

"You're right." Vixen looked at Peter with dismay. "But now is not the time for jealousy. And I'm positive that man is incapable of holding anything romantic to anyone."

"I thought the same, but here I am. Unsure if I'm the father of the ladies kid." The rat ran onto Vixen's hand and scurried up to the top of his head. "Sometimes you have to be clear with your intentions and act fast or you run the risk of being too late."

Peter clears his throat.

"Exhibit a! Let's call them uh, Lillie and Bob—"

"Why Bob?"

"It doesn't matter!" Peter screeches. Being near Vixen's ear made that painful for the man. "So Bob has liked Lillie for like, his whole life basically. Now he's fifty and he's finally worked the courage to confess to Lillie."

"Why's he so old?"

"It doesn't matter Vixen!" He screeches even louder, making Vixen wince in pain. "Lillie is also fifty. And she replies, we're old now, Bob. I waited my whole fifty years for you but got tired. Just last month I found a man, you're too late. And the end."

Vixen grabbed the rat like a toy. "If I were Astaroth I would've cooked you already, but I'm not." He gently places Peter down onto the table and turns to leave. "Bother me again and you'll be reduced to Clarissa's pet when she's back.

"No! Please! Anything but that and death! No, I might as well be dead!" Peter pleads, watching him walk away. "Nooooo!" His tiny voice could barely be heard by anything but the bugs that saw his dramatic figure stare up into the sky.