[15] Black-Snake Inn

Astaroth and Clarissa make it to the capital on the man's horse. Before they can take off to the castle they have the prerequisite quest to meet a rat named Josie at Black-Snake Inn.

"Now how do we find this place called Black-Snake Inn?"

"I can lead, I know where that inn is." Clarissa begins directing him. Having known about the inn from the webnovel, she's excited to meet the sharp-tongued rat.

Josie is sweet but only through her actions. She's made Katherine cry on multiple interactions in the story. They still got along well where the story cut off at least.

"For someone who hasn't been raised by nobility his entire life you don't know much about the commoners land in the capital."

"You just know too much, otherworldly woman."

"Only the things I've seen before."

"I never asked how you know about my past."

"We're here."

Astaroth was disappointed at the timing. There's no getting answers out of her ever, unless she wants to tell. Setting that to the grave, he shivers at the grave aura that loomed over them and enter the inn.

It is dark, the wooden floorboards creek.

"I've been expecting two young people." A raspy woman's voice echoes and following the sound of clapping hands, dim lights turn on and Josie is standing on a desk. "We have a stable out back for your horse, go bring em there first."

"I'll do that." Astaroth volunteers, leaving just Clarissa and Josie.

"Josie, I've been waiting my whole life to meet yo-" she notices the rat's pregnant belly. This didn't happen in the webnovel? "Rat babies..."

"Oh yes, they are due in about a week now. But we aren't here for that." There was a shift in her tone. "You aren't from around here are you sweetheart?"

"I was born a commoner and raised as one."

She narrows her eyes at Clarissa.

"I believe you. But you aren't from around here."

"Maybe you're right."

Astaroth returns and their one on one talk is cut short.

"I suppose you two are both here for a place to stay while on your tasks within the capital. Don't worry, this inn doesn't take any customers when Peter asks me for a favor."

"I'll pay you back if I must."

Josie shakes her head. "You will not. Come here on any other occasion then you can. I love money but I cannot charge Peter."

"You will be charging me, not Peter." Astaroth argues.

"Shut your lousy mouth boy I said no! Don't make me say it again or I'll charge you for giving me a headache."

He flinches, not expecting the harsh response. "My apologies."

"Now follow me. I'll show you both to your stay, I'm giving you the luxury of having separate rooms. And don't whine about it blue hair."

As if she could read peoples thoughts. Josie is able to notice things people usually miss. This made her very careful and cunning, but also left her isolated.

Her careful, sharp-tongued nature intimidated most, until Peter. He did shrivel at times in her presence, but he always remained in contact with her.

They follow her through a dark hall, and are given the two rooms at the end.

"No sleep overs, this place isn't meant for funny business."

"Nothing of the like will happen."

"It better not." Josie leaves, and Clarissa enters the room without a word to Astaroth.

"Is she mad at me?" He asks himself. "Feel free to rest until morning, there's nothing we need to do for tonight." From out the door he speaks to her, and enters his room to rest.

Both rooms are dimly lit like the rest of the inn, have queen sized beds, a table, a toilet and shower room, and not much else. No windows, just the aging walls and abused floors.

"Josie is implying Astaroth likes me. She must be right." Clarissa tells herself. "What do I do..."

She stretches her body like a starfish, then curls into a ball and keeps shifting until she's comfortable. "This bed is not comfy. Like old times."

"Can't rest like this."

Clarissa tried to sleep even though the bed felt awful and her mind was racing. I never had the luxury of romance, never.