[22] Dance In Disbelief

Katherine stares at the ring that fits snug around her finger. It felt like a birth of a god in these halls where people passed by her hastily left and right, preparing the castle for an engagement party.

She threw up that night after bearing the new title of fiancée, her eyes were glazed with regret and still are. Only those who can see every little change can tell.

"Lady Katherine. Why you look terrible! You should be getting more sleep or else you'll look forced on the day of your party!" Says an older maid who had enough time to look thoroughly at the girl head down.

Well that's because I kind of am. A lump slithers down her throat and her shoulders tense up until she's left alone.

The brunette wanders aimlessly down the hall, almost frantic to run into someone she's comfortable with. It's just busy people.

"Lady Katherine doesn't look ok."

"Do you think she's pregnant? Oh dear, and before marriage!? I hope they can hide it until then. Perhaps that's why they are rushing-"

"I am not!" In a rush of fury, Katherine raises her voice and quickly stops her speech, lowering her head. "I am not..." This time, softly. "Not pregnant..."

The two gossiping men gasp and walk away in shame. It was no secret to anyone that she's timid, awkward, perpetually scared of people.

The counterpart of Clarissa who was more of an "ew people" person than an "ahh! People!"

They didn't expect she'd raise her voice, consequently she could feel her heart beating out of her chest.

Katherine takes off, returning to her room with shaky limbs and a spinning head. Her room is a safe haven, where she can hide under the blankets and nap the fear and problems away. Usually.

But now she thinks about how she'll be sharing a room with the duke. There would be no comfortably alone times, or at least not as much as there are now. These thoughts have been keeping her awake, stealing her appetite and scratching her brain.

"I can't do this anymore!" She begins to cry, tears being absorbed by her pillows with dainty floral covers. "I want things to go back to normal! No Clarissa, no constant problems, and none of this!"

It was like her parents leaving her all over again, and she had to cope with the change.

---

"I still have a hard time believing what's happening." Astaroth comments for the third time that day as he moves in synchrony to the music with Clarissa. One hand holding hers, and the other at her waist.

"It's the third time you said that today, and about twelve times since they got engaged. It's been three days." She guides him in their movement, occasionally taking her eyes off his face to watch the people in the back ground struggle to clean high areas in the vast ballroom.

And the man on the piano was on the verge of having cramped fingers.

"When two long time friends who didn't seem to hit it off suddenly get engaged you'd feel the way I do right now. I knew Orias genuinely wanted to marry her but I just didn't think it'd happen."

It was bound to happen anyways... Clarissa rolls her eyes, almost frustrated to hear him talk about them. "Lost you at long time friends."

"Want to take a break? I think you've already got the steps down perfectly."

"No, we keep dancing."

They continued. Astaroth couldn't help but feel giddy inside that she didn't want to stop dancing so soon. He treasured the sensation of her hand against his. Smaller, cold, and calloused hands. He noticed she always had her nails trimmed.

"You seem happy." She takes notice of this.

"I do admit, I am."

"Isn't that pleasant."

"As pleasant as your pretty face and delicate movement."

"I'd blush if I could." Clarissa looks as pale as ever, standing in between life and death. The compliment delivered well to her, but Astaroth could only hope she'd say something he wanted to hear.

"How can I ever make myself desirable enough for you."

"You've been getting desperate lately."

"Not desperate enough."

The shortest, tiniest laugh escapes Clarissa's tight chapped lips as the music grows intense, taking control of the atmosphere. They both stop, and Astaroth watches the icy woman go shades of red up to her ears, staring back at his icy colored eyes in shock.

"You laughed."

She takes a step back from him, clutching the crescent moon that rested on her chest.

"I made you laugh, and blush."

"I... The pianist is having a cardiac arrest!" She feigns an awkward panic, and within the second Orias turns to check on him, she is out of sight.

"Can I take a break now?" Asks the pianist who was more tired of his job than confused.

"Yes." Astaroth looks around. The image of her embarrassed face and sound of her laugh would not be leaving his mind any time soon. A pleasant curse for him to live with. "Maybe I should stop insulting Orias' nude statue for a day." He wanders off with a confident walk.