[25] Barely Adults

A day before the engagement party.

Katherine stands shyly by her fiance's side, cowering at the smiles of guests. "Did you invite the whole kingdom or something?" She asks him in a hushed voice.

"I did have it declared that those who want to come can come... So I think so?" The duke watches as guests walk by, being accompanied into the castle. "I'm sure over half our guests will be here on the day itself too."

"Did you think this through!?"

"It'll be fine sweetheart. The world will see how much I love my Katherine, and no one will dare hurt you, ever."

"But did. you. think. this. through." Katherine grits her teeth, her jaw tense from the stress and anxiety the past week has brought her. It was really bringing out the sleeping lion within her, and she wouldn't want it to take an explosion of pressure to bring out a stronger version of herself.

"Of course! The more people, the more to witness duke Orias Viertel's romance and glory! I didn't have a gold statue made of myself for nothing." He says proudly, and Katherine storms off.

"You're so selfish!" She said towards the direction she walked, kicking stones in her path. Whether the duke heard her or not, she didn't care. Katherine wanting to blow off some steam, hurried to the courtyard where guards trained and started kicking a battered dummy.

"Scummy duke! And that statue sucks! It's horrendous! I'd rip my eyes out in front of you and that statue, for you to understand just how bad it is! Your dick isn't even that big!" The dummy is met with a weak punch that had Katherine withdraw her hand, wincing in pain.

Her knuckles were already red and short of bruising, so were her feet under her soft boots.

"Woah there. If you don't be careful you might injure yourself." Vixen makes his presence known only after she finished yelling. "Trust me, twisting your foot is not a fun time."

"V-vixen! I don't mean anything I said! I... I love Orias' statue!"

Vixen chuckles. "Don't worry, I heard nothing." He motions a zipped mouth along with his warm grin. "I was just picking up some of the weapons needing repair." Vixen had a big box in his arms with mostly swords sticking out dangerously, they lightly clanged with every step he took. Katherine was too furious to even notice the noise.

"You'll be heading to the smithy then?"

He nods his head. "Want to come with?"

"Yes..." She follows him, the two walking at a steady pace.

"I didn't think the day would actually come for you two."

"Astaroth has been saying that all week."

"I can imagine."

They steer clear of guests, smiling and nodding lightly from afar to acknowledge them.

"You shouldn't force yourself to marry him Katherine."

"I'm not forcing myself! Ok? I didn't mean what I said earlier."

"My bad. If that's the case then I'm happy for you two."

Vixen spots Clarissa and Astaroth from a distance, two free spirits abusing wine under the sun and casually skipping back and forth the halls. If anyone is going to be enjoying the party, he'd say it's those two.

Katherine saw them too. They reminded her of her parents who fit together like a puzzle. They look like they're in love. She notices the downcast look on Vixen's face, and his pause while they walked.

"I thought you were going for her."

"She looks at me like an entity from a book. She looks at him like she's a girl in need of saving."

"She doesn't like me."

"What makes you think that?"

"She looks at me like a foolish child. I would too though, I'm a ridiculous excuse for an adult."

"We're barely adults Katherine."

"Barely adults..."

"The more you try to 'act like an adult' the more you'll struggle. What is acting like an adult to you?"

"Someone who is clear minded, mature, has their life together..."

"See? Someone who is clear minded, mature, and has their life together is just that."

Katherine huffs, and exhales loudly in frustration. He made no sense to her.

"Aaand we are here!" Vixen sets the heavy box down, shaking his arms for relief.

They're finally at the smithy. No one is present, everyone is preparing for tomorrow. It was as desolate as the halls of the Golden castle after every guard was sent here to watch the princess.

Only Vixen has lurked in this place lately, using it as a distraction from his heartache. Perhaps he'd confess to Clarissa to vanquish all hope he held, and dreams where he held her small figure in his big arms.

No, she's not really small at all. Vixen just imagined her that way in his dreams.

"Clarissa barely swings by the smithy anymore." He says as if he lost a child. Vixen made sure that her area was always free from dust and molds even if he knew she might not show up in a while.

Even during mealtimes she barely paid any attention to him.

"I heard."

"Well. I'll see you later, or tomorrow. Not sure if I'll go to the party, I might not be able to hold my tears well in the crowd."

"It'd make me happier if you go." Katherine smiles softly. It was unusual for both of them, since she seemed tense with every expression she made most of the time when not crying.

"Then I'll try my best."

"I'll go now, I don't want to keep you from your work any longer. Thanks for having a warm conversation with me Vixen, you always know the right words. I hope I didn't disturb you too much!" She takes off awkwardly.