[33] The Duke's Reflection

Two hands is not enough to count the times Clarissa and Astaroth have kissed. Maybe five pairs of hands, but the number didn't matter anymore. From a bystanders view they kiss like it's the end of the world.

And that certain bystander is the duke himself who accidentally discovered Astaroth's situation and kept it to himself.

After growing curious of his best-pal-slash-quarrel-partner's absence, Orias Viertel eventually came to see him. He opens the door to Astaroth's quarters without reservation and sees Clarissa and Astaroth making out too passionately to notice his presence. Before he could whisper an apology he notices the darkened skin, and only then leaves.

And now the duke is plagued with thoughts. Not the best joke of the hour.

One, when did Astaroth get into romance? He never once cared for women or men or touching people in such way that isn't violent.

Two, he has the disease. It made perfect sense. He wouldn't show himself because he has the disease and if everyone finds out he'll have to go.

Orias' lips tremble at the thought of having to burn his closest friend to dust. If he were being honest with himself, Astaroth is his brother by heart.

His resolution? Pretend he saw nothing.

"I will not think about it, worry about it. Yes, I saw nothing." He muses. The duke returns to his room to cuddle with his ever fidgety fiancée. It's already been two months since the engagement party.

Katherine lays on the bed with her arms and legs sprawled out over messy, thick bed sheets. The windows were open and light shimmered in, casting over her small figure. She looks at Orias and holds back a groan and an eyeroll.

"My beloved Katherine is still sleepy?"

"No. A little bit bored." She sits upwards and starts fidgeting with the ends of her hair. "You look pale."

"Do I? How about you make blood rush back into my face then." The duke winks, throwing his coat aside and aggressively taking off his shirt. He sits down beside her and grabs her face that felt tiny in his large hands.

"This early?" Katherine shuts her eyes, bracing to feel his lips attacking hers like a dog. Oh but dogs are cute. He's like a not cute dog with attachment anxiety? Or just forever horny. Doesn't matter, she just felt like intimacy with him is a chore she'll never be able to enjoy.

Realizing her lips are met with nothing, Katherine opens her eyes, and the duke is laying on their bed looking troubled.

"Did something happen?"

"Just not in the mood." He turns his body away from her. "It's hard having to be the person in charge. I'm sure a number of people in this castle hate me for burning their family or lovers. What if it's you that got the disease? I'd have to order my own soon to be wife burned."

"W-well lucky for you and me I don't have the disease."

"None of us are safe Katherine. If only I could just take you and get out of here. We can leave and look for your parents, find somewhere new to live. I'd bring along Vixen, Peter, Clarissa and Astaroth too."

The light that casted over them backs away, leaving the room less straining to the eyes. Katherine leans down, resting her head on the duke's chiseled torso, her arm draped over him. "The situation here looks like it's getting better, there haven't been any reports of feverish people." This time, she's fidgeting with bumps on his skin.
"And I'm sure everyone understands you're doing what you have to do."

"You're sounding a lot like Vixen right now, my sweetest Katherine."

Orias runs his fingers through his fiancee's hair for a few minutes, staring at the soft features of her face. A round face, with evident baby fat. Plump lips that he bruised each time he got a little too rough whenever they kissed. She's so adorable he can't get enough of her.

With his strength he pulls her body over him, and up to his level. The duke leans in to kiss her gently.

"I can't wait to marry you. I can't wait for all of this to end so I can finally call you my wife. I don't care about a big extravagant wedding."

Katherine pushes herself off of him. "Huh?"

"Huh?" He repeats.

"Since when would you of all people not want a big extravagant wedding!?" She looks the most surprised she's been since she made a soup that didn't look like oil and dirt.

"If you want an extravagant wedding my love, then I will make sure that happens—"

"Are you really the man I'm going to marry?"

"Katherine?"

"The duke Orias I know would want everything about him to be big and glorious and... about himself." The lady gets off the bed and paces around the room anxiously. "Something is very off."

"Katherine..."

He watches her until she calms down and returns to his side on the bed. The duke coils his arms around her figure and hugs her tight. "I know you think I'm self-absorbed. I am. I'm a horrible lover. But I want our marriage to be intimate and meaningful, and not about me."

"Then... I'm looking forward to our marriage."

For the first time, something Orias has said makes Katherine's cheeks heat up. Her heart skipping a beat was a strange feeling.

"This time I'll commission a nude statue of us together! And a painting!"

"Never mind." She mumbles with no expression of shock, or disappointment. Just dull staring at the wall. I should've expected that.

"I don't think I want a nude statue of me, or portrait. I can imagine you'll have the artist make my boobs exaggeratedly larger than they really are."

"My dearest Katherine, if you want them to stay true to your sizes I'll let them know."

"No. I do not want art, thank you." The brown haired woman wiggles out of his hold and sits at the edge of the bed with a dejected look. "You're a real asshole you know?"