[44] Truce

Clarissa Wains sits with Freya Golden in a gazebo at the castle garden, having tea and biscuits. The fragrance of apple cinnamon tea was the only thing between the two from having each others necks.

"It's apple cinnamon. One of the only teas I'd drink, I'm more of a juice person. Go ahead, it's not poisoned." The princess beckons for her to sip from the small, white and gold ceramic cup warm to the touch.

"I wouldn't worry about the likelihood of it killing me or not." She replies.

"Still death is rather painful is it not? I haven't tried dying to poison myself so I would like a testimony on the experience."

Clarissa sips the tea.

"See? Not poisoned."

"So why are we having a tea party?"

"And why did you just waltz into my castle again? Clarissa Wains. You feeling bad about killing me- I mean Rinoa?" Freya coughs.

"I came to apologize to Rinoa Yue. I would like to set things straight between us."

"What good is it apologizing to a dead person?"

"Then I'll direct my apology to you."

"I killed your cat-"

"Fuck you for that. I'm never going to forgive you for what you did to my cat, but in the first place you wouldn't be here if I didn't mess up. I wouldn't have a dead cat then, I think."

"Mess up? How can you mess up killing someone?" The princess raises a brow, irritation starting to stir her gut. "Listen, if you're going to apologize then do it right. I didn't argue with my guards to allow you to have tea with me for you to throw a pity party."

"I was an assassin, and I was hired to kill your twin sister. Except I didn't know you were identical twins-"

"Who hired an assassin to kill my sister!?"

"I'm not supposed to disclose any information about my clients..."

Freya shuts her eyes and takes a deep breath. "Do you think client confidentiality matters now!? Come on Clarissa Wains! Has getting your head chopped off made you stupid?"

"Relax, I was joking."

"With a face like that? How's anyone supposed to know you're joking?"

Freya, unlike those that know Clarissa long enough, has yet to realize the lady has the facial stiffness of a rock.
"I thought I was being funny." Clarissa replies nonchalantly. "Your sister rejected a rich man who didn't take that rejection well at all. It's not a situation unheard of, we've had many clients with too much cash and no hearts."

"Oh..." the princess' expression turned downcast for a very brief moment. "Men are scummy aren't they?"

Clarissa nods.

"I'd never be with one, they can all shove their testicles in an oven. I'm fucking glad I didn't write a world with smartphones or even after death unsolicited dick pics would still be a thing."

"Oh, I almost forgot what I was here for." As Freya was fiddling with her teacup, the reformed assassin gets up, looking intently at the princess. "I'm sorry for taking your life. In this world and in the previous one. Though you did deserve it that one time after what you did to Peanut."

"You're only sorry because I wasn't supposed to be the one you killed." She sighs.

"I didn't want to become an assassin. I wasn't given a choice, and neither did I enjoy killing anyone. In the end, my boss killed me after I killed you."

"Woah seriously? Boss assassins must be strict."

"And you princess? Do you enjoy killing peoples pets in this world where you can get away scott free because of your status?"

"I well- er..." Freya turns her face away, flustered and unable to answer. "Since I ended up in this dumbass' body I thought if I were to play the bad guy, I'd be a bad guy."

Clarissa deadpans.

"I'm not a good person ok! I never was. It reflected on how shitty all my characters are. Orias is self absorbed, Katherine is cringe insecure and boring, Astaroth is an asshole, Vixen just sucks and Freya Golden is the dumbest of them all."

"Yet I enjoyed reading your awful story."

"You were a fan?"

She nods. Freya suppressed a dry sniffle.
"Then it was a little weird ending up here for the both of us."

"Weird falling in love with a man from a book you created."

"It's like I'm a god now." The princess marvels, and Clarissa's stiff face nearly cringes. "So are we calling off this feud of ours, Clarissa Wains?"

"I would like that to be the case."

"Then it shall."

"Will you stop killing animals then?"

"No can do, retired assassin. You may just be townfolk now but I'm staying true to my part as a villainess. I want to be an evil queen that will take over the silver and bronze kingdoms and rule the world!"

"That is uh... grand."

"I also have news for you."

"News?"

"We've found the cure for the crow disease."

"Really?"

"And the cause."

"The cause?"

"It's all, right here. In this gazebo, in the center of the garden, sitting on these chairs having a cup of tea."

Clarissa points at Freya and then herself, her mouth gaping open.

"Wow! You catch on quick! Smart girl. I figured my blood was the beginning to it all after I tested a theory on some people."

"You used human test subjects!?"

"And then after I took your head the other month my girlfriend was cured of the disease. If not for you showing up then, she'd have been long dead now. I suspect our first deaths in this world are the triggers."

"I'm glad my death saved you girlfriend?"

Only a few moments later the realization came to Clarissa like a tidal wave. "I... cause the plague disease to start."

"And you lost your lover because of it too, isn't that funny?"

"I'll sew your mouth shut, princess."

"Oooh scary."

Her eyes narrow at the Princess, the coldness of her gaze making Freya stagger in her seat.
"Jeez I'm sorry, it was a mean joke ok? Mean joke. I'm sorry you lost Astaroth."

"You're not sorry for anything that happens to the people around me."

"True."

"You're good at being a shit person Rinoa. I've done what I came here for, I'll go now."

"A-ah! Can you come back here tomorr-" Freya clears her throat. "I mean, I order you to return here tomorrow at noon. The king would like to see you. I'll have the heads of all your rat friends if you don't show up."

"Sure."

"You don't want to finish your tea before you leave?"

"I have someone waiting eagerly for me back at the inn." Clarissa takes off, feeling the weight of guilt off her chest as a new one replaces it.

"I caused this entire mess to begin with. Even now, I'm still the reason why so many people are suffering."

All guards had their eyes on her until her figure was no longer at the Golden castle, she hastily returns to the black-snake inn where Josie was enthusiastic to see the lady return without a scratch on her skin.

"Girl, you came home!"

"Home, huh."

It would've been nice to live here with Astaroth.