[42] Rat Romance

It still didn't feel right running past these roads without Astaroth. But being with Peter was significantly better than alone again. Her mind scoffs thinking about how just a year and a half ago she was someone who didn't need anyone else's company, and now she's happier being with someone rather than being alone.

"Hey don't push yourself. We can take a break if you're tired."

Clarissa shakes her head. She kept moving without stopping until the sky grew dark, only then she rested under a tree. Peter was not tired at all, but sleepy. For the duration of their trip he gets to ride on the lady's shoulder.

"Whenever I left the castle with Astaroth on foot, we wouldn't stop until one of us was about to pass out. When we rested, he'd usually fall asleep and start drooling on my arm."

"Did he snore?"

"Sometimes. Never loudly."

"I'm sorry Clarissa."

She looks down at the dirt beneath her. A line of ants marched, for as far as she could see. "I can't find the colony."

"Clarissa..."

"You don't need to offer me your pity. There's no use in me moping around either."

"Yet you're still moping."

"How am I supposed to be acting then." Her eyes continue to traverse the ground looking for a hill that might be the colony. She feels it would be good free therapy to squash their hill under her foot.

"You know, I plan to propose to Josie. She's probably going to say no though."

"Why do you think she'll say no?"

"Because she's like that."

"I think she'll say yes."

"Really?"

Clarissa nods.

    Midnight the following day, the two arrive at the black-snake inn dehydrated, hungry, and tired. Mostly Clarissa though.
She didn't take any of her things when she left Orias' castle, all she has for clothes is her tunic drenched in sweat and dirty shorts— and the necklace.

"Clarissa, you're back." Josie greets them by the door. "What happened to you woman? I was so worried! You disappeared in the middle of the night and none of my kin could find you. Then I eventually heard about what happened in the castle."

"I'm sorry."

"Ehem, hello Josie."

"Peter. Your kids are sleeping."

"His kids!? They're his kids?" Clarissa raises her brow. "Why did neither of you tell me."

"I was going to." Peter replies. She carefully watched Josie's stingy reaction to his presence, it just seemed like she was masking her actual feelings by acting like she didn't want him there. She's just that type of individual.

"You two look awful. I'll have food, rooms and baths prepared. Take a seat for now." Josie speaks after a long silence.

"I'll have a room of my own?"

"Course you will Peter."

The rat looks downcast, taking small strides to a corner.

"Oh- do you have any clothes I can wear?" The single present human asks, tugging at her top that stuck uncomfortably to her skin.

"Ye ye I actually had them here for you when you last came over. I got a little bit of everything because I don't know your preferences."

"Thank you Josie."

"Thank me by actually eating this time. And don't escape while I'm sleeping."

"I promise."

Josie scoffs, her eyes narrowing at the sulking Peter. "Promises mean nothing."

"Did he do something?" Clarissa wonders. Probably.

As Josie leaves, Clarissa squats down by Peter's side, hugging her arms around her knees. "So what happened between you two? Did you cheat? Say something wrong? Both?"

"I've never heard you sound so invested in anything before. Is my terribly complicated relationship funny to you?" Peter glances at Clarissa, her eyes holding the same cold and unrelenting gaze he saw the first time they met. The rat shivers. "I've been dedicating all my time to being a chef at Orias' mansion to put it shortly. Josie got upset that I made no effort and time for her, especially after she admitted the kids are mine."

"Then why didn't you make an effort for her?"

"Because I'm a terrible rat!" Peter cries out dramatically. "I'm stupid and foolish, and pathetic. Now I regret even considering proposing to her. I was supposed to go look for a ring in town but now I..."

Clarissa grabs Peter with one hand, lifting him up to her face. "Then change Peter."

"It's not that easy..." he squirms, his eyes watery from all his dramatic groaning.

"Duh. What is easy."

The rat's ear twitches. He went through a few thoughts, trying to think of a way to argue back and eventually giving up with a sigh. "I'll get her that ring."

"That's the spirit." Clarissa puts him down. Had he not given her a satisfying answer she'd have kept him trapped in her palms. "Are there even businesses that sell for rats here? And do you know her ring size? Or do you rats all have the same ring size. I think that's a dumb question." She mumbles the last part.

"We have our own marketplace underground. Though lately I heard it's been monopolized by some one eyed gang leader."

"Rodent drama." She supresses a chuckle. "Do rats have their own mafias too?"

"What's a mafias?"

"It's nothing. Shall we go storm in there and overthrow the one eyed gang leader?"

"No! We'll — I mean I'll get killed! You wouldn't even be able to get in."

The lady frowns, awkwardly tugging at the drying tunic. "Too bad, I'd love to see a rat marketplace in person."

"Your bath is ready. And trust me the rat marketplace is not some majestic wonderland, it's filthy and gross." Josie returns. Again she narrows her eyes at Peter. "You can go rest in your room for now and we'll eat together when Clarissa is ready."

"Ah, ok." Peter's ears flatten. "By the way Josie, I'm not going back to Orias' castle. The man is dead and Katherine is losing it."

"Good luck finding somewhere new to live." She replies bitterly.

"I want to live here. With you."

Josie turns her whole body away from him, taking a deep breath, exhaling, and saying nothing at all. Clarissa waits quietly in anticipation for the rat lady's reply.
"Fine. You cook good food, I expect to see you in the kitchen everyday."

Peter's face brightens up and he turns to Clarissa.
"You're doing good Peter." The silver eyed lady does a thumbs up with her hand.

"I will do my best to serve you good food everyday, Josie."

"I'm such an amazing wingman." Clarissa tells herself, leaving the two to get herself cleaned up. She's been dying to get out of this tunic since yesterday and her hair has been smelling of a mix of nature and sweat.