6 BAYLEIGH/SAM

FANTASTIC.

             In the beginning I thought dropping Art Appreciation for Health was a good idea. But Mrs. Wong, the school counselor said it left me short half a credit. So now my options to have what I needed for USC were, an extra course next semester, which would make my previous academic plate overflow, or tutoring. Great, I really didn't feel like spending my Tuesday and Thursday evenings tutoring some loser, but what choice did I have?

"Well, you look super bummed" my friend Asher grinned, as I approached her.

Her dark brown hair blew in the wind. She and I had become friends when we joined the track team last year.

She was already standing at her gray Kia K5, fidgeting with the key fob.

"I am, I got some irritating news earlier" I frowned, walking around to the passenger side.

We had a little time to kill before going to the away game, so the squad decided to meet at McArthur's diner before the game.

Asher opened the driver side door and slid in behind the wheel.

"Are you going to Clint's victory after party?"

My face pulled together in confusion.

"Victory after party? But we haven't even played yet".

Her car shook and growled to life as she turned the ignition.

"True, but you know it's inevitable. The hockey team is joining their victory too" Asher explained, as we put on our seatbelts.

I gave a nonchalant shrug.

"I guess I can make an appearance. It's the weekend so I don't have to be home until midnight".

Asher gripped the automatic gear shift and pulled it into reverse.

          We began backing out of the spot, but immediately had to come to a screeching halt. Walking behind her car, carrying his backpack with a cigarette in his mouth was Sam. He came to a stop himself, looking up. His eyes burned into mine, as I glowered at him through the passenger rearview mirror. Asher snatched the car back in park and peered up into the rearview mirror.

"Wait is that the new guy?"

I pressed the button letting my window down just as Sam took a few more steps across.

"Watch where you're going you jag-off" I snapped.

"Yea, nice mouth doll. I had the right a way" he countered.

"How do you figure that?"

"I'm a pedestrian until I get in my car" Sam frowned.

"Why can't you just watch where you're going you desert cricket?" I yelled.

"Why can't you just learn some manners you stuck up brat?" he yelled back, as he finished crossing.

I growled, leaning back into the window. Asher, who looked confused, put the car back in reverse and began sliding out of the spot. He shuffled out of the way. Asher swung the wheel and pulled off out of the lot. I made sure to personally give Sam my middle finger as we passed him.

Asher giggled flirtatiously. "That new guy has some fire in him".

"He's atrocious" I grimaced, settling into the seat.

"You know I like a bad boy; I think I might give him a shot" Asher grinned.

"First of all, no, second even you can do better".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Both teams won their game. Thank God for it, because if not Clint Waston's victory party would have been a bust. It was an amazing Friday night because we'd moved one more step up to the championships. Everyone was gathering up things to load the bus, but I really had to use the bathroom. Two diet sodas went through me really fast and the chill of the impending fall air hitting my midsection and legs didn't help much. My muscles in my body shook and convulsed so much it made having to relieve myself worse.