8 SAM/BAYLEIGH

The next day was Monday and I was awakened by my phone blasting a Morgan Wallen song in my ear. It was actually my sister Cera's favorite song. I yawned rolled over and picked up my phone from the floor. I groaned a greeting into the phone.

"He called Friday" the voice on the other end said.

It was Cera.

"What?" I grumbled, rolling onto my back.

"He called Friday" she repeated.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned.

"Dad" she said quietly.

I raised up quickly from my futon.

"What do you mean he called Friday?" I asked. "He's not supposed to get in contact with us".

"I know he's not. He called pretending to be someone else and Gladys brought me the phone" Cera explained.

"What did he want?" I continued.

"He was saying about some guys that he owed money. They found him in jail. He told them we had it. He said they were coming and to just give them what they want?" Cera informed.

I could hear the sobs she was fighting back. I ran a hand down my face, attempting to wake myself up. I looked at the time on the analog clock over my television; it was six-forty in the morning.

"Just calm down, what else did he say?" I asked.

"He said he owed them ten grand".

"Jesus Christ" I grumbled.

"Sam...?" she started. "They came".

I bolted straight up from my futon.

"Are you okay, what happened?" I asked.

"I'm okay, I'm okay" Cera sobbed. "I was at school when they came. I was walking to the bus".

"Did you catch the city bus again?" I asked. "I told you about that".

"I know, I know" Cera sobbed harder. "They were standing at the bus s..".

She took a moment to cry softly.

"Cera please don't cry. You know I hate to hear you cry when I can't get to you".

"They had a gun Sam. They pointed it at me" she cried.

"What did you do?"

"I had about one hundred saved from babysitting. I just so happen to have it in my backpack at the time this happened, so I gave them that. After that they left. DAD FUCKING SENT THEM TO US!!" She screamed.

"Why are you just calling me?"

"I don't know" she whimpered.

Did I fail to mention that our jail bird, sperm donor of a father was an unimaginable piece of shit?

"Don't take the city bus ever again Cera, uber from now on" I demanded, scratching at my thin, extended goatee.

"But I don't always have uber money" she sniffled.

"I'll send you money sometimes. Look, I need you to talk to Gladys, I have a music gig there in a few months and I was going to come see you" I said, looking at the time again.

If I didn't hurry and get up I was going to be late for school.

"Sam there's more" she said softly.

"What?" I questioned, getting up and shuffling around to get dressed.

"It's the Italian guys that dad had an issue with, you know that day you got shot. Well Dad told them where you are too" She explained.

"How does he even know?" I asked, as I began picking up articles of clothing and sniffing them.