12 BAYLEIGH 🌶🌶

What was happening to my life? It was only mid-February, but I felt like I was losing years of my life. Sam and I stood in the elevator silent as it ascended floors. Lynx had just dropped us off at our apartment building and we were headed up to our floor. I watched Sam as he stared at our distorted reflections in the stainless steel elevator doors. His expression was emotionless, but intense. I can't believe he took up for me.

"Does he hit you?" Sam blurted.

The question took me off guard.

"What?"

"Does he hit you?"

"No. He's usually a sweetheart to me, he's just an ass when he's drunk".

"Was he drunk in the library?"

"No".

The elevator dinged and the doors swung open, but Sam didn't get out. He pressed the garage button on the elevator and the doors closed.

"What are you doing?"

"Just trust me" he grinned, pulling the keys to his jeep from his pocket.

At three in the morning, Sam and I were zooming down the highway. The dark sky lit up periodically with lightning, signs of an impending storm.

"That party is about to clear out, so we don't have much time" Sam said, cranking the gear shift.

"Much time for what?" I asked.

"To right an injustice" he grinned.

A few moments later we pulled onto Cynthia's block and parked a few houses down from hers.

"Why are we here?" I questioned.

"We're getting your bracelet back doll" he smiled, cutting off the jeep.

"Wait, what?"

He reached into his armrest pulled out a small, long, leather sack, a pair of black leather gloves and closed the armrest. He climbed out of the jeep without answering. I quickly got out behind him. The wind blew violently and thunder roared as we traipsed across yards, and then went around to Cynthia's backyard. Sam leaned close the fence as i passed the street light glowing over the front yard.

Sam put on the gloves and hoisted himself over the tall wooden fence. He did it so fast I blinked and he was on the other side. I could tell he'd done this before. Up against the fence, a few feet away was an AC unit. I climbed on it and pulled myself up and over the fence, landing hard on the crispy, frozen grass.

"What are you doing?" I asked, as we stepped up onto the back porch.

It creaked under our weight.

"Sshh" Sam demanded. "Shine your phone light on the door".

"Why?" I whispered.

"Just do it".

I exhaled with exasperation as I turned on my phone flashlight and aimed it at the door. Sam took the small leather bag from his back pocket and unzipped it. Inside were a plethora of small instruments that, to me, resembled dentist tools.

"Keep the light steady" he whispered, taking out a few tools.

He stuck two small, sharp tools into the keyhole and began moving them around a little. In no time the door made a click sound and released the catch on the door frame. I gasped as he slowly pushed the door with his glove covered hand.

"Oh my God, are we breaking and entering?" I whispered, as he stepped into the house.

"Yep" he grinned.