The Body

"REGULUS! NO!"

Sirius had launched himself over the table the moment he realized what he'd done, but it had been too late, his grasp - intended to grab onto his brother - had grabbed onto empty air and he had simply landed on his chest splayed across the table with two plates of eggs and bacon and kectchup smeared on him.

"Shit!" Remus had yelled, jumping up as well, eyes wide, and Marlene stared in shock and horror at the place at the table Regulus had been, while Peter, too, had scrambled to turn and grab hold of him, but, like Sirius, had missed.

"NO!" Sirius screamed, "NO!"

There was a ringing silence.

"Bloody fuck fuck fucking hell fuck no shit no, fuck!" Sirius cried, he looked at Remus, "Where'd he go!?"

"I don't know!" Remus shouted.

"What do we do! What do I do? We have to save him! I have to - I - What do I do!?" 

"I don't know!" Remus shouted louder.

Sirius's voice was shrill, "HOW DO I HELP HIM IF I DUNNO WHERE HE WENT?!?!"

"I DON'T KNOW!" Remus's voice was climbing, too.

Peter stared at the empty space at the table.

Everything had descended downward from there - because there was nothing to do, there was no where to go, no clues or hints left behind, and Sirius freaked out because he just wanted to go and DO something, to help, but there was no way to know what to do or where to go and the longer he didn't do something, the more anguished and panicked he became. Remus didn't know what to say to comfort him, there didn't seem to be anything to say, really, and he wouldn't hold still long enough to hug him or touch him, and a sort of manic frenzy seemed to set into him.

"He doesn't have his wand, doesn't have his wand, what do you do when you don't have your wand before the Dark Lord? You die, that's what. You're annihilated. You're dead. You're destroyed. You - He can't even disapparate. He can't call for help. There's nothing to be done, he can't do anything. He's alone. On his birthday. He's just a kid. He's my brother. I just got him back. I just got him back and now he's gone. He's good as gone. He has no wand. No defense... No wand, no wand... What do you do when you don't have your wand...?"

Marlene paced, too, and she offered to go and get Emmaline and Frank and Alice and anyone else that could be mustered, but Remus said to wait until they knew what was happening. After all, alarming everyone would only mean that they were there to worry the same as the four of them were - and they could do no more than they were anyway.

Peter sat on the couch staring at the fire in the floo with vacant, worried eyes, his face extremely pale. 

Remus wanted answers on what the perimeters of such magic were - if there was anything to be learned by figuring out what kind of spell Voldemort had cast that would make his followers forcibly disapparate to him at the sound of his name. Could it happen to anyone or did one need to bear the Dark Mark? How dangerous was this? He took a stack of books from the shelf, and began his search.

In Godric's Hollow, Lily and James were in the backyard, the snow falling down quiet over the field - but they were anything but quiet. "Potter's got the Quaffle, but Potter is on her tail - he's knocked it out of her hands and the crowd goes nutter! What's Potter going to do! Potter takes the quaffle, headed for Potter's rings and Potter scoooooores!!!!!!!!" 

"Your commentary is quite confusing now that we've got the same last name," Lily laughed.

"But it sounds ruddy brilliant, doesn't it?" James laughed. He threw the quaffle they were playing with to her through the air and she swooped her broomstick down to catch it. "I could say it all day long and not get tired of it."