LXXI: 23 June, 1994

"THREE!" 

"NO!"

"HARRY!"

Remus saw what he was about to do in the hairline second before they'd cast the spells and he shoved his elbow into Sirius so hard that Sirius's wand jerked up - only just enough - a brought red jet of sparks flew from his wand and into the far wall, blowing away a gigantic chunk of the wall.

Fading orange sunlight from the sun setting outside burst in.

The jet had been red, though, Remus realized, and not green - not the killing curse then, neither of the spells had been.

"You can't kill him!" Harry sobbed, "You CAN'T!" He shook his head.

Both Sirius and Remus looked equally terrified by the newly punched hole in the wall and how close it had been to that being Harry Potter they'd blasted open instead.

"Harry... this piece of verminous cack is the reason why you have no parents," Sirius whispered, anger streaking his words. "This cringing bit of filth would've seen you die, too, without turning a hair."

"I know," Harry gasped. "I know but - but we'll take him back to the castle. We'll give him to the dementors. Let him go to Azkaban, like what's right... I - just - just don't kill him."

Peter reached up and touched Harry's hand, grabbing onto it. "Oh thank you - thank you! Thank you Harry, thank you, Harry!" he sobbed, "Thank you!"

"No, stop that! Stop!" Harry jumped back and pulled his hand away from Peter. "Don't touch me! I - I'm not on your side. I just -- my dad wouldn't have wanted his best mates to become killers because of you. You aren't WORTH IT."

No one moved or made a sound.

"You're - you're the only person who has a right to decide, Harry," Sirius nodded.

"He's right," Remus whispered.

Sirius nodded. "But just - just think what he - what he did... and -- avenging James --?"

"So let him go to Azkaban," Harry answered quietly. "Let him sit in a cell for twelve years - without anyone to believe he's innocent because the truth will be known about him and everyone will know exactly what he did. Let the dementors have him... If anyone deserves that place... he does."

Peter was wheezing with panic.

"Very well. Stand aside, Harry," Remus said.

Harry looked at Remus, hesitating.

"I'm going to tie him up," Remus explained. He held up his hand again. "I swear."

"On my dad's honor?" Harry asked.

Remus smiled, "Yes. On your dad's honor, Harry."

Harry stepped aside.

Remus cast the spell and the cords shot forth and bound Peter, gagging up his mouth and wrapping his legs and arms tightly.

"If you transform, Peter, and try to escape, though - we will kill you." Sirius growled. "Agree, Harry?"

"Yes," Harry agreed.

"Right." Remus's voice was nervous. "Right. Alright." Suddenly, he was quite businesslike. "Okay. Ron - I can't mend bones nearly as well as Madam Pomfrey can, so I think it's best if we just strap your leg up until we can get back to the castle and she can get you some skele-gro potion. "Ferula!" he cast and bandages began wrapping Ron's leg into a splint. Remus helped Ron up to his feet. "C'mon, up you hop."

Ron winced, but he was able to hobble a bit and he smiled painfully at Remus. "Thanks."

"What about Professor Snape?" Hermione asked.