Rowle-ing's Stones

The dark shape of the stone manor rose up, a silhouette in the night. Gideon Prewett walked up the pathway, dressed in his gray wool auror's uniform. He was flanked by Tina Scamander and Dorcas Meadowes, who were shadowed by Newt Scamander and Florean Fortescue, and the formation closed by Albus Dumbledore directly behind Gideon. In his fist, Gideon held the search warrant.

"Wands," he murmured, and each of those following after drew their wands, holding them at their sides, ready. "Remember, nobody casts until we've been cast at. This remains peaceful until some evidence that we're the location we're looking for."

Tina nodded. She knew all about protocol - MACUSA was just as strict as the Ministry when it came to protocol for their aurors.

Newt's eyes darted side to side, and lighted on a bright white peacock, whose appearance was opalescent and he started to break out of formation but Tina cleared her throat, "Mr. Scamander," she hissed. "No."

Newt looked longingly at the peacock.

"If this turns out to be the place, we'll confiscate it for you, Newt," Gideon promised.

They'd reached the door of the manor and Gideon drew a deep breath as he climbed the three steps to the door, raised his fist, and knocked.

The knock was a loud, bellowing sound, as though it were echoing through caverns of darkness on the other side. Gideon's hand froze before he could bring it down a second time, feeling as though that echo had travelled through his very body.

The door opened slowly, timidly... and Gideon looked down to see a house elf peering out. The elf's ears went flat and he let out a little squeak of nervousness.

"Good evening, elf," Gideon said. "I am Gideon Prewett, auror for the Ministry for Magic. We would ilke a word with your Master." He held up his auror's badge.

"Dobby's Master isn't being at home, Mr. Prewett sir," Dobby the House Elf said.

"Then we wish to speak to your Mistress."

"Mistress Narcissa is not being at home, neither, Mr. Prewett, sir," Dobby replied. His eyes darted nervously back over his shoulder into the house and then back to Gideon's.

"Then we wish to be admitted, by order of the Ministry for Magic, for inspection of the premises." Gideon held up the warrant.

Dobby made a strangled whine of a sound.

"This warrant overrides your prior orders."

Dobby muttered about having to punish himself later, but he opened the door and Gideon turned 'round to the others. "I'll sweep the house, but this won't be what we're looking for. You lot ought to go check the others. Standard procedure from here."

Dumbledore nodded and led the way back down the walkway, the others following after.

"I'm staying with you," Dorcas said and she followed Gideon into the Malfoy house.

Newt hesitated looking at the opalescent peacock but Tina grabbed onto his arm gently. "Come on, Mr. Scamander," she said firmly, and they disapparated away.

Fabian's lot were at the Greengrass residence - Lyra and her father Gareth stood glowering, their upturned noses and hateful eyes following as the auror and his team searched their home. Fabian assigned Sirius and Remus to watching over the Greengrasses while the others performed dark magic detection spell and looked for artifacts, questioned the house elves (for the Greengrasses had several).

Remus stood seething in the corner of their living room, his arms crossed.

"I know there has to be something on here," he said quietly. "There has to be."