The Academic Warning

"I don't know why you feel the need to go ruining all that perfectly good cheese by putting broccoli under it," Sirius said, "But it is an offense to cheese-kind."

Lily put the baking dish into the oven and licked a bit of cheese sauce from her finger tips. "You boys have to eat something healthy and putting cheese on it is the only way to get it past your stupid lips."

Sirius shook his head. "I'll eat the cheese off it."

"And that's why we're melting it on real good so you can't without getting at least some of the nutrition through the power of... osmosis or something like it." She wiped her hands on a dish cloth. "Where is Remus?"

Sirius shrugged, "Not back from class yet. I left him a note to come over here when he got home so he'll be along when he gets home. I reckon he's had a bad day."

"Why's that?"

"Well he slept in late this morning and there was a whole row over who's supposed to have done the wash, so he grabbed a shirt from my side of the closet --"

"Oh gods, he's gone to school with some hideous t-shirt," she gasped.

Sirius grinned.

"It wasn't the 'shag me, I'm sexy' one, right?"

"No, but that would've been funny, too," Sirius grinned, "It was the 'bugger me backwards' one."

"I haven't seen that one."

"No? I look marvelous in it. Reckon you'll see it on Remus when he gets here."

Lily shook her head. "You didn't tell him?"

"He didn't let me! He kept cutting me off then left like there was no tomorrow." Sirius shrugged. "Serves him right for not listening to me when he had the opportunity, I reckon."

The door banged open and James came in the house, carrying loads and loads of bags from Quality Quidditch Supplies, his face positively glowing with excitement. "HONEY! I'M HOME!" he yelled into the house.

"BABY I THOUGHT YOU'D NEVER GET HERE!" Sirius leaped up and ran to James, throwing himself upon him before James could even react. The bags hit the floor with a loud thump and Sirius squealed as James's arms came up and caught him. "Oh I do declare, James Potter, you are such a strong man!" Sirius's voice dipped into a Southern American belle accent and he batted his eyes and planted a wet kiss on James's cheek.

"The dogs are coming for dinner," Lily announced, as though James hadn't already figured that out.

James carried Sirius out to the kitchen where Lily was and Lily leaned over Sirius and kissed James. Sirius made a gagging noice. "Well if you don't like it, you could sod off," James suggested. Then, "Where's Remus?"

"He's not here yet," Lily answered. She kissed James a second time, then turned back to the cooking.

"You need help?" James asked, depositing Sirius into one of the chairs at the table. 

"Nope, everything's in and done already," Lily answered, "Just waiting for cook times and for our resident werewolf."

"He may not be wanting to eat much anyway," Sirius said, "With the full moon coming up." He looked at the tattoo on his wrist. "Bugger has an excuse out of that broccoli, I wish I did."

"Oh no. Not the broccoli again."

"I'm putting cheese on it!" Lily protested. 

"Evannnnns..."

Sirius was grinning now that he had an ally. 

"You will eat it and you will like it," Lily said in her best scolding voice.