⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 10﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

CHAPTER 10
𓂃 𖥔 seraphina and emerald 𖥔 𓂃⌗

day two of finney's disappearance.

gwen had been spending a lot of time in her room, understandably. she was upset and sad. it was the day after the detectives had visited and finney's face had already been plastered all over town on missing posters promising rewards for his finding. dad had often gone out with the search crew, not drinking and trying to make an effort with gwen and I. he'd forbidden me from going with him, not wanting his other daughter to be taken too. it was nice to have dad suddenly switch to how a real father should be, but I worried for how long it would last.

worried for her, I decided to go visit gwen.

"hey, gwen," she was sitting in her room playing with her dolls.

"hey, y/n," her voice was hollow.

"watcha up to?" I tried to sound lighthearted.

"dolls. do you wanna play?" she offered me a doll as I sat on her bed.

"sure. what's her name?" I took the doll from her.

"you're seraphina and I'm emerald. we're best friends but we've fallen out because your boyfriend punched my boyfriend in the face but he was talking bad about you. but emerald doesn't know that seraphina and her boyfriend are dating," she explained.

"oh... ok!" I tried to laugh at her creativity as we began to play.

after a while of playing, I spoke up.

"where did you come up with this idea?"

"I... dunno. just came to me."

***

I gazed at the ominous building as I tried to mentally prepare myself for going back to school. it was hours after I'd played with gwen and the teachers had invited me in for the last three periods.

once inside, I headed to the student office where our school counsellor and principle wanted to talk to me.

"so, obviously, a reduced timetable has been set in place for you and we have also authorised you a corridor pass so anytime you'd like to leave class and come down to student office or just leave, you'll be allowed." miss selfrin, our overly-jovial school counsellor and head of student office, smiled at me from across the desk as she pushed a yellow card with my school photo over to me. beside her sat mr rivered, our principle.

"thanks." my response was short. the bell rang above us.

"right, so that's the lunch bell! you can go and find your friends." I stood to get up before mr rivered stopped me.

"y/n. we're very sorry about your brother." his voice was gravelly and unsure.

"don't worry bout it." I muttered before shouldering my back and hastily leaving the awkward room, slipping my corridor pass in my pocket as I went.

I headed out to where I knew everyone would be, the bleachers. as I moved closer to them, I saw my group already sat there. the majority of them sat on one row while imani sunbathed on the one below, occasionally giving her input to their conversation, while bruce and cheyenne sat — very close to each other — on the row above, knees touching and in their own conversation. as my figure moved forward, arlo looked up. his face dissolved into one of excitement as he pointed out to me and yelled.