⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 38﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

CHAPTER 38
𓂃 𖥔 that's not mine 𖥔 𓂃⌗

stelios (steh-lee-os) is a traditional cypriot name btw

it was 9:34 am on saturday morning when I rolled over in bed, my bleary eyes blinking open. I groaned as I stretched my limbs. my duvet sheets rustled from my movements when I sat up, swung my legs over the bed and rubbed my face. staring into my full length mirror, I did not look acceptable enough to go meet vance—or anyone for that matter.

I threw some clothes on before heading to the bathroom, washing my face, brushing my teeth and doing my makeup. I sniffed and wiped my nose with a folded tissue as the faint hum of conversation drifted from the kitchen to the bathroom. it sounded like two men and I wondered if marty was visiting dad.

I walked out and down the hallway, hopping a little as I hitched up my sock over my left ankle. I made it to the kitchen where dad was sat with... someone who was definitely not marty.

I smiled awkwardly at the man, not prepared to be met with guests so early in the morning. he was tanned, olive skinned, like me. he had dark hair styled in a buzz cut matched with a patch of hair on his chin. he wore a white wife beater shirt and black, baggy cargo pants. his muscly arms were adorned with different tattoos, black ink spanning over his biceps. on the table beside his hands, a black cap with the number 70 stitched in white on it.

he sat up straight when he spotted me walking in, his hands folding. meanwhile... dad gave me a smile that looked a little more like a grimace.

"morning." I muttered to the guy politely and he nodded.

"mornin'." he responded. I smiled and moved to start making my breakfast.

"y/n, this is... stelios. he... he's an old friend of your mom's," dad explained, his voice a little strained. stelios laughed slightly.

"well, we were a little more than jus' friends." stelios said and dad sighed a little. stelios had a 'ghetto' accent, detroit or compton. "she and I lived together for a bit back in compton. ya- ya know ya momma's from compton, right?"

I nod my head, remembering the stories she used to tell us of her rough childhood.

"yeah, she moved here with her own mom and met dad. they got married and had me. then the kids." I replied. stelios nodded hesitantly, his face becoming strained.

"you, uh-... she don't know?" stelios turned to dad and asked, rubbing his forehead with his fingertips. dad sighed and shook his head.

"...we never got round to it." dad said dejectedly, looking at the table.

"I don't know what?" I asked.

"never got round to it? she deserves to know!" stelios's voice became slightly raised and irritated.

"know what?" I demanded, more firmly this time.

"stelios, please. calm down." dad pleaded. stelios huffed and sat back in his seat.

"what's happening?" I demanded again, turning to dad expectantly. my head was swimming and I couldn't make heads nor tails of the situation. dad sighed and rubbed his forehead again.