⌗ 𓂃 𖥔༌ ᰷ ﹅chapter 11﹅ ᰷ 𖥔༌ 𓂃⌗

CHAPTER 11
𓂃 𖥔 finding finn & apologies 𖥔 𓂃⌗

day three of finney's disappearance.

as I opened my eyes slowly, all the horrible memories of yesterday's events came flooding back to me. I groaned and pushed my face back into my pillow.

"y/n? you ok in there? you gotta get up, those detectives are coming over today." dad spoke through the door. of course.

"yeah. getting up now." I pulled myself out of bed and stared at my appearance in my full body mirror. I looked a mess.

dark eye bags circled my eyes and my skin looked thin and pale. my face was covered in tear tracks, my hair was limp and I looked like skinnier than normal due to the worry eating at my insides. but worst of all, a splotchy, purple bruise was forming on my cheek where vance's fist had made contact with me.

he'd called. a lot. he'd left messages on my house phone, which I'd instructed dad and gwen not to answer. once dad told him to stop calling, he rang the small pink phone in my room. after I'd angrily unplugged the thing, I had worried he would show up at the house. I felt a little bad, he obviously felt guilty but I couldn't bring myself to face him.

I'd tried to call imani, but to no avail. cheyenne's mum had said she was with imani, apparently the group — besides bruce — had gone to the park to comfort her and cameron, who was recovering from vance's beating. I had thought of going over to them to try and talk things out but decided to let them cool off for a bit.

I felt tears prick my eyes again and I ran my hands through my hair in distress. I pulled on a bra under my sleep vest and zipped a hoodie three-quarters of the way up. I checked the time and was surprised to see it was almost 11.

"dad? am I not going into school?" I turned the corner into the kitchen to find dad with a newspaper at the table. my heart leapt to my throat as I spotted a picture of finney and I plastered on the front of the newspaper. I was holding finney close, our faces pressed together with big cheesy grins. I was slightly cropped out of the square so it was more focused on finney's face. I remembered that day clearly.

I was at the park with bruce and finney, waiting to pick up gwen from her friend's birthday party.

"oh come on, finney! pose with your sister!" bruce joked, holding a camera. finney protested with a big smile as I grabbed at him.

I eventually trapped him in my arms, pulling him close to mine and holding our cheeks close. bruce snapped the picture and finney broke out of my grip.

"y/n? I said you can have the day off considering yesterday."

"oh. right. thanks, dad." dad followed my eyeline and turned the front page to him. he sighed as his eyes fell on the picture.

"I... I don't remember that being taken." he admitted quietly.

"you weren't there." my voice hardened as I padded over to the cupboards to make breakfast.

"...I haven't been. enough. after your mom died... I didn't know what to do. she was always the one who knew how to calm you down or cheer you up. how to just look after you in general." he said.