44

.·:*¨ REAL LIFE ¨*:·.

Going back to the paddock felt different this time. Alice wasn't by Charles' side like she used to be. Pierre walked beside her, his sunglasses covering his eyes, and Alice's makeup attempting to conceal the fact that she had cried all night.

This time, the Red Bull atmosphere didn't hold the same excitement for her. Even though she had reluctantly accepted the fact that she was rejoining the team, a part of her resisted going back. Instead, her heart longed to run towards the Ferrari garage, just to embrace Charles one more time. She needed him more than she was willing to admit.

As they reached the Red Bull garage, Alice paused and turned to face Pierre. "Call me if you need anything," he said, concern evident in his eyes, and she hugged him once more before letting him go.

"One last thing," she said, reaching for the necklace she had been wearing since Charles gave it to her. She hadn't realized she was still wearing it until that morning when she was getting dressed. She had even considered keeping it a secret, but she knew she had to move on. She couldn't keep shedding tears for a guy who refused to fight for her, even when she was ready to sacrifice everything for him. "Could you give this to him?" she asked, handing the necklace to Pierre.

Pierre looked at her, his gaze filled with understanding and compassion. "Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked, searching her eyes for confirmation.

"I just want to move on, Pierre. I was willing to sacrifice everything for him, and he... He simply couldn't fight, he preferred running even when that wasn't fair to me. I don't want this necklace to remind me of the mistake he was in my life. Charles Leclerc was a mistake, and I've learned that now," she explained, her voice tinged with a mix of pain and determination.

Pierre nodded, taking the necklace from her hand. "I'll make sure he receives it," he assured her, his friendship unwavering.

Alice mustered a small smile. "Thank you, Pierre. You've always been there for me."

"When did I become so lucky to have a best friend like you?" Pierre mused, a hint of gratitude in his voice.

Alice chuckled softly. "I don't know, but you are indeed lucky to have me," she replied, attempting to lighten the mood. The first genuine smile since yesterday graced her face. Everything still hurt, and all she wanted was to crawl into bed and eat ice cream, but she had to come back, and she wouldn't let Charles see how deeply he had affected her. Perhaps she was slowly dying inside, but that was her burden to bear alone.

"I'll see you after qualifying," she said, pressing her lips to Pierre's cheek before turning towards the Red Bull hospitality.

As Alice stepped inside, nothing had changed since the last time she was there, but everything felt incredibly wrong. "Just until the end of the season," she reminded herself silently, mustering her resolve. She began walking towards Christian's office, her footsteps purposeful. This time, she knocked on the door until a muffled "come in" sounded from inside.

Opening the door, she found Max and Christian engrossed in conversation. Christian's surprise was evident in his voice as he spoke, "Alice, Max told me you were coming back, but I didn't believe it."

"It's not like you gave me another choice," Alice replied, her tone tinged with a hint of frustration. She took off her sunglasses and replaced them with her regular glasses, not wanting to hide her tired eyes any longer. "I'm back, Christian. You won. What do you want me to do?"

Christian paused for a moment, studying her tired but determined face. "Max's PR duties and you can resume your role managing Red Bull Racing's social media accounts, the same position you had before you left," he responded, finally breaking the silence.