Chapter 2: Notice

Aarav walked out of his bathroom with a towel in his hand. He looked over at Muskaan who was sitting on his bed with her phone in her hands. She had already taken a shower and Chhaya had bought a change of clothes for her. Muskaan was solely focused on her screen that she missed her best friend, Riya, who stormed in and begin shouting questions at the two. Aarav rolled his eyes before settling his sister down and giving her a glass of water. He knows his precious sister gets anxious about even the smallest of things and this was about her best friend. So of course she was all over the place with her nerves. 

"I spoke to her, he didn't touch her. But we didn't talk any further. But we're about to now."

Riya turned to Muskaan and called her name, but got no response. She was glued to her screen. The siblings looked at each other before Riya got up and sat beside Muskaan, pulling the phone out of her hand and causing Muskaan to snap out of her daze.

"Riya, my phone."

Riya moved the phone away from Muskaan, which resulted in her launching herself at Riya. The girls were basically at war with one another, trying to get to the phone. The whole situation was turning into a mess until Aarav had enough.
"Stop!"

The girls immediately stopped and looked over at the man. He sighed before telling Riya to give the phone back. 

"It's that Vaansh isn't it?"
Muskaan nodded her head at the question, knowing what was to come.

Aarav clenched his jaw before turning away from her. He couldn't look in her direction right now. He was too angry. Seeing this, Riya held Muskaan's hand and in her sweet, gentle voice asked her best friend about her night. Muskaan took a deep breath in before she began.

Flashback:

"Vaansh! Hi, I know you said that you were busy, but I thought I'd still come past to say hi! Pata hai, Maine apni mehndi mein chaand aur taare baanaye hai. Tumhe pasand hai na. Khaas tumhare-"

(Do you know, I made the moon and stars in my mehndi. You like them. So especially for yo-)

The bubbly girl's sentence found itself being stopped midway as the eyes of the beautiful soul took in the sight in front of her. The man whose name was hidden in the palms of her hand was standing shirtless, in the middle of his bedroom. His eyes were wide as he looked at her. But what had halted her steps from entering the room was the third person. A girl. In a red dress, lying on the bed. The straps of her dress hung off her shoulder. Muskaan's eyes took in the sight of her matching heels lying right near the door of the room. Right beside the heels was the white shirt. His white shirt. The one she had gotten him. The one she spent hours choosing. The first thing she bought with her first ever salary.

Muskaan didn't know what to say. The two just gazed her way before she mumbled a sorry before rushing out.

Flashback over

"Just because I wouldn't let him..... I wasn't ready.....And because of that, he went out and .... Why? I loved him. Is that not enough?.......How can he?"

"He cheated?"
Riya's words made Aarav clench his jaw even harder. The vein in his forehead was on the verge of popping out. Only God knew how Aarav was able to keep himself together. 

"Riya, tum bahar jaao. Aaj Karwachauth hai. Aur Chhaya bhabhi ka pehla hai. Toh dekh kuch chahiye unhe ya nahi."

(Riya, you go outside. It's karwachauth today. And it's Chhaya bhabhi's first one. So go see if she needs anything.)

Riya gives Muskaan a final hug before dashing out the door. There was a sombre silence surrounding the two. Both are deep in their thoughts. Insecurity shadows Muskaan's mind whilst a dilemma torturing Aarav. 

Aarav did not want to keep his love hidden. He wanted her to know. But he knew that maybe this wasn't the right time. He stared out of his window, taking in the sight of his brother running after his son and daughter as his sister-in-law and mother sat beside each other, getting everything required ready for the evening. The silence was broken by the quiet voice of Muskaan. 

"Was I hard to love?

Aarav turned to face her immediately at the sound of the almost sob.

"Why can't I have what didi got? What bhai has?"

Aarav looked at her as she lifted her petal-like eyelids and graced him with the sight of her beautiful brown eyes. And that sight was what made him decide that enough was enough. He wasn't going to let her sit here and weep any more. Not for a stupid douche like him.

"It's not you." Muskaan continued to weep. her bottom lip wobbled lightly as she bit down to stop it from trembling. 

"It's him." Muskaan gazed at Aarav as he moves closer to her and sat in front of her. He knew it was too soon. Way too soon. For her at least. But he just could not bare to see the light in her fizzle away. He wouldn't let it happen. 

"And you can have anything you want if you look in the right direction."

Aarav gently took hold of her hand. His actions were a little stiff as he tried to keep his anger at the back of his mind right now. Aarav gazed up, his green eyes met her brown ones as he spoke the biggest truth of his life to her.

"In my direction." Muskaan's breath hitched, and her nails clawed into his hand as she waited for him to finish what he was saying. Her heart had known, but she refused to believe it. But now she had to accept that he had feelings. He was saying it. 

"The direction where a helpless man stands."
"With his heart in his palms."

"Aarav-"
"Who will give you the flowers." Muskaan felt Aarav's other hand cup her cheek as she sniffled.

"The cuddles." Muskaan's left eye betrayed her again by freeing the trapped tear.

"The chocolates." Aarav wiped the tear away.

"Who'll give you all the love in the world." Muskaan couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the sudden confession. 

Muskaan put her hand on top of the one cupping her cheek. 

"Look in my direction."
"Aarav, I-"
"The man who'll give you anything you want."
The hand left Muskaan's cheek.

"Whenever you want."
The other hand slipped out of her tight grip.

"At your footsteps."
The warmth Muskaan had felt when he was close disappeared when Arav stood back up.

"You just had to witness something incredibly traumatic. And I just overwhelmed you. I'm so so sorry. But if you ever find me worthy enough, think about what I said. Once I leave this room, I'm leaving this conversation behind with you. I won't ever bring it up with you again. Not until you do it yourself."

Not knowing how to react, Muskaan nodded and then gazed at the broad back of her best friend as he walked out.