Chapter 20: Heartbeats

"He what?!" Chhaya rolls her eyes at Rohan as he rises to his feet. They're sitting in the living room with everyone else except the elders. 

"Rohan, we're fine. Just chill."

Shourya wraps his arm around his wife, "That little pest! How dare he?" 

Meera places a comforting hand on her husband's thigh, the two men are clearly distressed. Especially knowing he came out of nowhere at the restaurant. 

"Tell me you're okay, jaana." Shourya whispers in his wife's ear, his heart racing at the thought of some pest ner his wife. Meera smiles at her husband, sneaks in a kiss and nods. "I'm okay." 

He sighs, "We'll talk about this later, you spend time with Muskaan." 

Meera whines as she watches him walk upstairs to the twins' room, knowing that "we'll talk about this later" means "I'm hiring bodyguards for everyone." She peeks over at Riya who shrugs and decides to also get some rest. Rohan is already halfway past the hallway with Chhaya in his arms. Aarav smiles at the two women gives Muskaan a kiss on the cheek and gives Meera a peck on her forehead and the back of her hand before leaving as well. "Good night bhabhi, and take care. Zaada mat sochna aaj ke baare." (Don't think too much about today.)

Meera smiles at her little protective little brother. Muskaan watches him walk away and Meera watches her sister. Meera smiles at the sight, glad she is finally happy. 

"What do you really feel for him?"

Meera's voice catches Muskaan's attention and she looks back. "Hmm?"

"Aarav. What do you really feel for him?"

Muskaan looks down at her hands, biting her lip. "Di, I don't know."

Muskaan moves to sit next to Meera, thinking about how she really feels. Is this just attraction, or was it slowly building to something more? She grabs her older sister's hands like they were an anchor for the lost ship. Looking at her like she's a saviour that has come to guide her back to shore. Muskaan takes her opportunity to clear her mind. Meera has always been her guiding light. 

"Di, how did you know you loved Jeeju?" Meera smiles at the question, she runs her thumb over the back of Muskaan's hand. Muskaan watches her sister giggle at a memory before looking at her again. 
"I fell in love with his heart before I fell in love with him. His charm intrigued me, his personality made me stay and his heart made me fall in love. But in the long term, the thing that's keeping me in love with him is the calmness and stability he gives my chaotic mind."

Muskaan watches her sister in awe, "You two are so perfect for each other."  

"Next time you're thinking about Aarav, put a hand on your chest and feel your heartbeats. If they're calm and steady, yet still excited. Then just know he's the one." Meera's words cause Muskaan to think.

"The racing heart is where it all starts, but it's the calm and steady heart that's in love."

Muskaan sighs and pouts. Meera laughs when Muskaan stuffs her face in her lap. The two spend more time on the sofa, just catching up on everything that's going on.

"Jeeju is so right di!"
"Two kids are enough Muskaan."

"But we want more!"
"Then have some of your own."