Chapter 4: Speed dial.

Sitting at her office desk, Muskaan let her mind wander back to the Karwachauth night, which was a week ago. She was watching Chhaya break Rohan's fast as he was adamant about fasting for his wife's well-being and their unborn child's safety. She thought about how he held Chhaya and the protective yet gentle grip on her stomach. The baby must just be the size of a pea, and already the soon-to-be father was in protective mode. 

She also remembered how Aarav ate with Rohan, sending a tentative smile Chhaya's way. That moment was enough to tell her had her best friend spent the day hungry. Some stirred in her again, like it did every time she thought of that moment. Muskaan was busy letting the fuzzy feeling warm her tummy when Maya came in and broke her bubble. Maya was Muskaan's partner in the event planning small business, they had begun in January this year.  

"Muskaan, our next clients are here. They're planning their engagement."

Muskaan smiles at Maya, she puts on her brightest smile and picks up the file from their online preference survey without looking at the names on the file. Her smile fell straight off her face when the man who she thought would planning her dream engagement with walked through the door. With his soon-to-be fiance on his arm. Smiling at each other.

Only for Vaansh's smile to drop at the sight of his now ex-girlfriend in front of him. Keeping a professional front, Muskaan smiled and greeted her client. At the back of her mind, she felt like just kicking them out. However, knowing their business was new, she couldn't afford a bad perception of her branding. Not only was it hers, but it was also Maya's. 

"Hi, I'm Muskaan. Your planner for your engagement."

"Hi! You look familiar. I wonder where I've seen you. Anyway, I'm Avantika. And this is my soon-to-be fiance, Vaansh."

Muskaan managed to keep a straight face through most of the consultation, watching Vaansh treat Avantika the way she had always wished for. He would hold her, smile her way, fix her hair, give her kisses and actively participate in the planning. He never paid attention to her this way. In fact, it was reversed. She was the one showing affection always. Why could he not do this when they were together? Was it her? Was she that unloveable? She watched the two interact for two whole hours. But soon enough she just couldn't handle it anymore. This was torture. Absolute torture.

"Please have a look through the options, Maya will be here to help you out if you need. I- I just need to use the washroom."

In seconds the room felt the atmosphere change as Muskan turned on her heels, and practically ran to the bathroom, the door slammed shut before there was pin-drop silence. Vaansh stared in the direction of the girl, his eyes set on the door as if he'd be able to see through it and come face to face with the impact he left on the girl.

On the other end of the door was Muskaan. Her chest heaving as she pressed her back against the door. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead as the sight of the man she had called hers since she was eighteen flashed in front of her eyes. The sight of holding another girl's hand, the sight of his peppering kisses on her head, the sight of that night when her everything went down the drain. 

Her ears rang with her voice, she felt the sting of her words work its way past her ears through to her heart.

"We're planning an engagement party for us."

So it took him a week to propose to that woman. Muskaan couldn't help herself from sliding down the door, and with a harsh jerk, she hit the ground. Bringing her legs close to herself, the tears she had thought were dried spilled back out. The tracks of her tears burnt their way down her cheeks as she clutched her heart as if it would jump out if she didn't. 

When her sobs became louder, she threw her hand over her mouth to stop the voice from leaving the room. Only to trap her breath inside, causing her to feel lightheaded and the pain in her chest to grow larger than her own being. She couldn't think of anything except for one person. The only person that could help her right now. The person she calls every time she's in trouble. Every single time. Even the time she was confronted by Vaansh's betrayal.

Her fingers trembled as she fumbled with the pocket of her pants. She pulled out the phone with her left hand, but very soon it slipped out of her hand. She was shaking too hard. Pressing her hand closer to her mouth to stop the weeps from escaping her throat. Slowly but steadily the girl picked the phone back up before pressing her only speed dial number. 

Whilst it rang she managed to get up with the support of the handle before managing to scurry to the sink. Just as she got there she heard her phone being picked up.

"Hello?"
Rather than replying to the soft greeting, Muskan removed her hand from her mouth and let her sobs do the talking. And immediately Muskaan heard frantic movements on the other side of the phone before he threw an instruction her way.

"Stay where you are. I'll be there."

He knew where she would be right now and that was her office, so he didn't think twice before rushing out the door, bumping into Chhaya on his way out.

"Sorry bhabhi."

Chhaya tried to stop him but he saw nothing, he heard nothing. Just the voice of the hoarse, broken cry of the girl he only wants to hear laughing. It took him five minutes and 43 seconds to get to her office. Rushing past the receptionist who was shouting his way he slammed the door to Muskaan's office open. 

The three members present in the room looked his way, but his eyes were set on finding only one person and he couldn't see her. Ignoring the pathetic excuse of a man, he rushed over to the only other door in their office. The bathroom. 

He slammed the door open before entering and shutting it behind him with equal force. He didn't want anyone to see his source of strength in her most vulnerable state. Muskaan heard the door open and soon enough flung herself in his direction. The tears ran out of her eyes quicker, as if they were also seeking comfort from the man whose shirt was pressed against Muskaan's cheek.

"I can't do this Aarav, I just can't. Take me out of this misery, please. I beg you."

What do we think?