Chapter 3: Thoughts

"Tayi ji, Bhabhi. Aap ne itni saari tyaari ki hai, uske liye thank you. Pr mein aaj vrat nhi rakh sakti."

(Tayiji, bhabhi. You guys have done such beautiful preparations. So thank you for that. But I can't fast today.)

Chhaya had walked into the backyard with a simple red saree on, and her husband was sitting beside Shourya. The family gazed up at Chhaya, who had been over the moon about her first Karvachauth, now just suddenly saying she didn't want to anymore. Muskaan shuffled in her seat beside her sister, Meera. She knew her sister had sensed something had gone wrong, but was waiting for the right moment. 

Chhaya's mother-in-law, Reema stood up and patted her beautiful daughter-in-law's head.

"Of cource beta. Koi baat nahi. Pr kal tak toh badi excited thi, aachank kya hua?"

(Of course beta. No problem. But you were so excited yesterday, what happened suddenly?)

"Maa woh....Agar mein kuch nhi khaoongi ... toh automatically koi aur bhi hai jo nahi khayega."

(Maa, actually.....If I don't eat anything then ...... automatically someone else won't be able to eat either.)

The family looked at Chhaya, slightly confused by what she meant. Rohan scrunched his eyebrows at her as if a silent question. She gave him a cheeky smile, which was noticed by Aarav.

"Matlab? Rohan bhaiya? oooohhhh toh patni nahi chahti ki uska pati bhooka rahe. Yeh baat hai?"

(You mean? Rohan bhaiya? ooohhhhh so a wife doesn't want her husband to be hungry. I'm right?)

"Aarav, woh......." (Aarav, I......)

Everyone looked her way with teasing smirks, thinking it was what Aarav was hinting at. Rohan smiled at the fact that she finally refused to fast, so now both of them could go devour some delicious malai kofta and rice.

"Woh......" (I.....)

Meera smiled her way as a silent encouragement. Meera didn't know what Chhaya wanted to say, but the way she was slightly blushing and her arms were wrapped around her frame gave Meera a small hint. Seeing Meera twinkle her amber eyes and give a small nod, Chhaya took a deep breath before smiling at Aarav.

"Patni apne pati ko bhooka rakh sakti hai..."

(A wife can keep her husband hungry.....)

The teasing smiles turned into slightly confused faces and Rohan watched his wife stunned, his mouth hung open. Meesha, Meera and Shourya's six-year-old daughter giggles at her chachu before closing it shut.  Shourya opened his arms for his son, Meesha's twin, as he almost trips on his rollerskates.

"Pr......) (But......)

"Ek maa apne bache ko bhooka kaise rakhe?" 

(How can a mother keep her child hungry?)

Chaaya gently placed a hand on her tummy and rubbed it lightly, smiling at her family in front of her and taking in their reactions as they finally worked out what was being said. Rohan jumped to his feet and within seconds Chhaya found herself cooped up in her husband's arms. 

Rohan's mother, Reema, pecked her daughter-in-law's forehead and gently fed her besan ka ladoo, and Meera was on her feet giving sweets to everyone else. The family smiled and congratulated everyone. Aarav gave his cousin and sister-in-law tight hugs before picking up his niece and nephew and spinning them around. The three cheered at the idea they were going to have another little member. Muskaan watched Aarav take care of the kids and something stirred in her heart. She thought back to the conversation they had in his room earlier and let his words sink in whilst she gazed at him.