Chapter 4

"What happened on your last mission?" He asks, I freeze and I can feel my blood drain from my body. "I don't want to talk about it," I say looking out the window. "You can't run from this forever." "I'm not running," I growl. The rest of the car ride in silent. Once we pull up to the house the time is now 14:38.

  As I walk into the house everyone is at the doorway. Sharon is standing with her arms crossed and a face of disappointment. And Addison gives me a look of "It was only a matter of time". I go to walk up the stairs but I'm stopped by Sharon. "What where you thinking?!" She yells. "Your father is trying to campaign for governor and this makes his campaign look bad! His DAUGHTER arrested for murder!" She scolds. 

  "First off, I wasn't arrested. And second, I'm NOT your daughter," I say through my teeth. "Oh so you want your father to be that murderer? We took you in, gave you a home, and took care of you!" She yells. "Sharon, maybe we should let her be," says Felix. "And besides, the campaign isn't for another year. We still have time," he adds. 

  My phone ends up ringing in the middle of their bickering, making everyone go silent. "Woah! That thing is sooo old looking!" Jess exclaims. I flip open the phone and see that it's General Logan. "Hello sir," I say answering the phone. Everyone goes quiet and looks at me. "How's the readjustment Sergeant Major?" General Logan asks. "Fine sir," I respond. 

  "I will be down in two weeks to meet up with you. I have a meeting with the vise president, who will be in Texas. And I would like you to come," He says. "Yes sir." "Since the last mission although it was a success-" "Forgive me sir, but that mission was not a success. Just because we got what we needed doesn't mean that we won," I interrupt. 

  "I'm sorry, I couldn't imagine what it was like," he says. "I will go with you sir," I tell him. "Good. I will see you in two weeks," He says, then hangs up. I put the phone in my back pocket and look at everyone staring at me. "Who was that?" Tom asks. "No one," I tell them. "You can't just come home and not tell us thing," Sharon barks. "Unfortunately, this is military business," I tell her. "I thought you where done?" Monica says.  

  "Just cause I'm home, doesn't mean that I'm staying," I tell her. I make my way up to my room and flop on my bed with a sigh. What a day. I only end up sitting for about five minutes until I need to do something. I get up and start doing push ups. Eventually there's a knock on my door. "Dinners ready. Can I come in?" I hear Tom ask. I grunt, and he opens the door. "Your really sweaty," He says. "Really?" I say sarcastically. "Come on let's go eat. Your just adjusting to your new life, non of this is your fault. Mom and Dad are just worried about you. That's all," he says.

 "I can take care of my self," I breath out. I stand up and as I do I start to feel a little light headed. I grab onto a nearby chair and put my hand to my head. For no reason it just starts pounding. "Are you ok?" Tom asks. "I'm fine," I reassure him. "Let's go eat," Tom says. I fallow him out of the room and down the stairs to the dinning room. And of corse, John is there sitting with Addison. I sit down at the end across from John. 

  "I heard what happened, I can't believe the police did that," John says, grabbing some salad and putting it in a bowl, "It's fine," is all I say. "So how was your day, John?" Felix asks. "We found a soldier in Pakistan. Awful sight really. He was brutally murdered and was branded." John explains. My eyes go wide at this. "What was the symbol?" I ask in a bit of a panic. "Why does it matter Mace? You weren't even in Pakistan," Sharon says. "What was the symbol?" I ask again.

  "Umm it was a bird with swords in the wings," He says. "Who was it?" I ask. I can feel tears threatening to fall. "Umm," is all he gets out. "What was the name?!" I ask now standing. "His name was Jackson," He says. The last I saw Jackson he was taken away in a van. He was scared and hurt bad, he told me that I was the only one who could escape. He told me to tell his wife that he loved her. I failed him, I told him that I would save him and the rest of the twenty five. 

  I quickly leave the table, not even touching my food. I grab a set of keys not caring who they belonged to. I unlock the car and find that it's my motorcycle. I hop on the Harley and start the engine and drive off. I drove for about fifteen miles and then came up to a bar. I park my bike and walk into the bar. Needing a drink to clear my head.