Chapter 33

As I'm walking out to the van that'll take me to my next destination I can't help but think about my family. I look down to my watch, which I have the time set to back home. They should be in the meeting with Dr.Miller by now. The drive there isn't too far.
  By the time I get there, it's pitch black outside. They end up dropping me off at about five miles from my target. "I have to focus on the mission," I remind myself. I trek through the desert, and I come up across the village. The houses are made up out of stone and wood.
  There's a big bonfire in the middle of the little village. There are kids running around and dancing to music. That's when I spot him. Governor Zahar Baldikave. Tonight will be his last night.
  I get into the village without being seen, hiding in the shadows and keeping quiet. Eventually he heads into his tent. I wait for the light to go out and after about five minutes, it does. That's when I take my window and creep inside. I go above his sleeping figure and start to choke him. "Aghh,"she chokes out. "Where are the blueprints?" I ask in a deep menacing voice. Completely getting rid of my southern accent.
  "I-I don-don't have the-them," he tries to breathe. But that's when his eyes quickly look over to a box. "Too easy," I say in Persian. I grab my katana and slice his throat. Getting blood on the cloth of the tent. I walk over to the box and open it to see the blue prints. I grab them and sprint back to the van.
  As I'm running, I can hear screams in the distance. I hop in the van and we drive away. "The blue prints," one of the guards ask for, handing out his hand. I don't give it to him, something is off about him. Instead my blue eyes just stare into his black ones.
  "You dare disobey me?" He questions. I don't respond, until I spot it. It's a false pin, one that's been made wrong. The pins that the men here wear are silver all around, the one this man wears is gold. I grab out my gun and shoot him right in between the eyes.
  Suddenly the van stops. I hear two doors slam and two men come out back and open the back doors. "WHY DID YOU KILL HIM?!" The one yells in Arabic. Ha, they should be talking in Persian, not Arabic. They suddenly realize their mistake. Before they can act I kill them. I through them in the back of the van and drive off to the base.
  Once I get back to the base, Hassan is standing right there. I hop out of the van and salute him. "At ease," he gives permission. I hand him the blue prints and he gives me a smile. "Well done my soldier." Then his smile drops and goes into confusion and anger. "Where did the rest of the men go?" He asks in an angry tone.
  "They were not loyal to you sir. They were moles. I have proof for you," I tell him. I walk to the back of the van and open up the doors. There's blood all over the place. I hop in and show him the pins that they wore. "The two spoke Arabic as well which gave them off," I inform general Hassan. "Good catch, but who are they?" He asks. "Lieutenant Bukhari is not the man you think he is. In the tent, there was a picture of him and the target together. They were with Iraq," I state.
  "Good work Khor Khoher, soon everyone will know of you and fear you. You are dismissed. You are free to go," he commands. Two guards escort me to my cell. Once I'm in and they close the door I walk over to my cot and lay down.

  I've killed more people. At least these people were bad. But still. "No," I say sitting up. "I'm doing this for my family," I tell myself. I get up and start doing pushups, sit ups, and jumping jacks. I'm doing this for them, I'm doing this so they can live and have a life.
  After about two hours of doing this I finally tire myself out. I get up and walk over to the sink and wash my face. I throw off my shemagh to reveal my messy hair. When I was in this cell before, there was no bed or sink, not even a toilet. I splash my face with water. I look at myself in the mirror and grip the side of the sink.
  Well, I forgot to tell my father of my disappearance. Not like he would even care. He never cared about anything that had to do with me. As I look into the mirror I see someone else staring back at me. I sigh and hang my head in sorrow. "Why is my life like this?" I ask. I look up and I can see my mother in the mirror. "Mom?" I whisper.
  "Honey, what are you doing?" She asks. "I-I, don't know. I'm trying to save my family. I can't have them fall like everyone else in my life has," I tell her. "Maybe you need to be done fighting," she says. "I can't, if I back out now, they're all dead," I tell her. "You know, I always wanted you to find love. Have you found any?" She asks.
  "I don't know," I respond. "What about that boy Gael? He was always such a sweet boy. His grandparents were basically yours, such a sweet couple. That was your father, before he was in the shooting," Mom says. I look back up with a confused look. "What?" I ask her. I turn around to see that she's gone. I sigh and walk over to the wall and slide down it, crying myself to sleep.