Chapter 7

We all go in the same car and I keep pulling my dress down. Wanting to cover up the scars. "What are you doing?" Monica asks. "I hate dresses," I tell her. We get in the car and I'm on the passengers side. Sharon is driving, Addison in the passenger seat, Jess in the middle and Monica on Sharons side. Thankfully Becky is in her own car. Sharon and Addison are talking about dresses and what not. Jess is asleep and Monica has in her air pods. Leaving me to look out the window. 

  I twiddle with my dog tags. Tracing over the letterings and numbers. "Why did you wear those ugly things?" Addison asks. I don't answer, I've never taken them off. These tags remind me of who I am, and what I've done. Not only that but it helps me get discounts. "I might be able to get you discounts since I was with the Marines," I tell her. "Nice move!" Sharon says. "I still think there ugly," She says.

  Once we get to the main part of town we make our way into the dress shop. "Oh my goodness! Is that who I think it is?" Becky asks, although she's from Texas she always makes her accent weird. I have no clue how to explain it but that it's not the same as mine or anyone else. "Hi Becky," I mumble. She comes up and hugs me and my back stiffens. 

  Once she pulls away I start coughing from her strong perfume. "Did you bathe in that stuff?" I ask her and she just laughs. I hate this. I would much rather be working right now. We entire the shop and already the dresses are at least three thousand dollars. And that's just the clearance rack. "Why are these so expensive?" I ask mostly to myself. 

  "They're the best of the best. Each one is hand made," Addison says. I end up taking a seat on a couch facing the dressing rooms. Eventually Addison try's on multiple dresses and we're all waiting for her to come out. "Let's see it baby," Sharon hollers to Add. "I'm almost done," She answers back. Becky comes back with a dress in hand. "I found one that would be super cute on you," She places the dress on the rack and takes a seat next to me. 

  "So how way the army?" She asks. "It's not the army, it's the Marine Corps," I tell her. "So how many people did you kill?" I don't answer and just keep my gaze forward. "I can't imagine having that on your soul. Killing all those people. I mean all of those lives are taken from you," She provokes. I squeeze my hands so tight that my knuckles turn white. Just as she finishes talking Addison comes out wearing a simple silk dress that flows on the floor. 

  "I think that's the one," Becky says. "I think I'll take it!" Addison says out of excitement. After paying we went to another shop just for brides maids. We end up going with a dusty blue. "Ok everyone pick out your style. Mace I'm picking the dress for you," says Addison in a happy voice. I let out a sigh and fallow her. 

  We walk to one of the racks and Addison just stands their looking at two. "I just can't tell which one would be best?" She says with one hand on her hip and the other one on her chin. "OH! This one should do! Go try it on," she orders me. She hands me the dress and I take it with out looking at it. I go into the dressing room and take off my clothes and put on the dusty blue dress. 

  The dress goes down to the floor and the back is completely open. The dress is pure silk and the straps go around the neck and lace around the back. There's a slit in the side of the dress that goes up to my leg. Everyone is already out with their dresses and start calling to me. "Come on let's see it!" "Yeah come out!" "I wanna see!" They all say. "It- it doesn't fit," I lie. It really is a nice dress but the back, and the slit goes up to the gun shot wound. 

  "It's supposed to be a little tight, just come out," Addison commands, not even asking. I open the curtain and opposite to me. Not wanting them to see the scars. "Oh that's gorgeous!" Sharon says putting her hand over her mouth. "That's deff you!" Addison exclaims. "Twirl, I wanna see the back!" Addison says. "I- I- can't." I stutter out. "Oh come on lets see it," Sharon says. Suddenly my phone rings and I step back inside the dressing room. 

  I look to see who it is, but it's an unknown number. I answer and undress while I pick up the phone. "Hello?" I ask. "Is this Sergeant Major Mace?" A lady asks. "Who's this?" I ask back. "My name is Gabby, I'm Jacksons wife. I just need to say thank you." She says. "What are your talking about?" I ask her. "Thank you for bringing him home to me." She says. "But he, he died." I say. Then I hear a voice I thought I'd never hear again. "Hey there serg!" "What? How? You died," I spit out. 

  "No, heh. I was close to it but a couple men saved me. They said that they where apart of F.S.F. When they brought me back I talked to a man named John. He said that you where alive, and gave me your number. Thank you," He cry's. "I get to be a father because of you," he sobs. "I-I have to go. I'll call you later." I say and hang up. 

  He said that he was dead. How is this. I thought I was the last. "Are you done in there? We're going to be late," Addison and Becky whine. I come out of the dressing room. We buy the dresses and make our way to the restaurant. When I get there I'm going to have a talk with John.