30 : Purpose

The Superstar Daycare was certainly the brightest place in the entire mall. The lights are on almost all night. Though, in some instances, there is a power diversion that happens. The lights shut off and the nocturnal creature of the pizzaplex slinks out of the shadows with a smile.

Moon was built with security in mind. He was the other nightly guard, you could say. Built with two duties, one to take care of children, and the other to drive away intruders, you could say he was one of the most accomplished animatronic built.

But a strange little occurrence appeared, and then another, and another, and then suddenly Moon's two duties that required completely different personalities and functions merged together as one. He acted brash with the children, his eyes were no longer that soothing blue color of his daycare persona but now the gleaming red of night that scared little children to their very bones.

They tried to fix him, they tried everything and anything to fix him, but nothing ever worked. The most unsettling part of all of this is that the animatronic knew such. He knew something was wrong, but answers never came, and he embraced the new, perfect 'him.'

But the threat of being completely destroyed was always lingering in the air. That air of fear that clung onto him like a blight. He might act all high and mighty, but his terror is barely hidden. The fear of death that treads the plane of all mortal souls is inside him, too. Despite being a robot, an unfeeling machine, he still feels that ugly sentiment.

And he'll destroy all that threatens his existence, because fear and wrath is all he feels now. It's all he knows, and he says it's all he needs. But death and destruction comes in many shapes and sizes. That's a lesson he's yet to learn.

______________

"My, isn't it a surprise to see you here," the voice of Moon crawled through the darkness in a hollow tone. He was perched in the dark beneath a play structure, where the light couldn't reach him. Where Sun couldn't reach him. His singular red optic a sinister light in the shadows. "Say, do your wounds still hurt?"

Eyes of frosted gold glared coldly at the silhouette of Moon. He was a small, pale figure in the darkness. One could say he was a lost lamb in a dangerous forest. A child who wandered too far into the shadowy waters who would likely drown. They couldn't be further from the truth.

"You think you are playing a game of chess with me, Moon," Gregory said, ignoring the animatronics questions. "But we are actually playing a simple game of checkers."

"Mm? How so?" Moon chuckled mockingly. He was amused, interested even of what the brat had to say.

A ghost of a smile spread on the boy's delicate face. "The main goal of a simple chess game is to capture the opposing team's king. Their leader."

"Hm, technically correct."

"...But in a game of checkers, the goal is to render your opponent immobile and to push past their defensives," Gregory's eyes dangerously gleamed in the dark. "You see, it's not too far off from chess. They both use the same board, but the goal is different."

"And my way of playing such a game is to remove all the troublesome pieces in my opponent's team so they pose no threat," Gregory said quietly into the darkness, gazing into the heated tendrils of Moon's growing agitation. The animatronic laughed boisterously, seeing the boy's metaphor. This puny, weaponless, brat thinks he can stop him?

Gregory quietly watched Moon mockingly laugh at him. His eye twitched slightly but his delicate face was as smooth as stone slate. Moon giggled and chuckled maniacally for a few moments, but his amusement born from agitation disappeared quickly as he sneered at the boy.