boy best friend, or not

in which chris is your best friend, but you realize your feelings change one sleepover.
___

you're sitting on your bed scrolling on instagram when you get a text from your best friend, chris.

chris
y/n please come over matt
and nick are pissing me off
and i miss you so badly

you
i'm omw now

seen at 3:13 am

you slide on some shoes and look in the mirror before hopping in the car. you were chris' best friend, so it's not uncommon for him to text you and ask you to hang out like this.

you pull up in his driveway and knock on the door. chris opens it with a blanket wrapped around his shoulders and extremely tired looking eyes. he smiles in relief when he sees you.

you hear matt and nick absolutely screaming at eachother in the distance.

"what's going on?" you ask, poking your head in.

"i don't know. but i do know this isn't like a little disagreement where they're just speaking loudly, they're actually seriously really mad at eachother. i'm getting worried." chris says, pulling you into the house and hugging you tightly. "god, ive missed you."

"i missed you too. and it's okay, i'm sure they'll get over it quickly. do you want to go somewhere to get your mind off of it?" you suggest, hugging him just as tightly as he did.

"can we go to your house? i really just want to go to sleep but i can't with them screaming." he says, rubbing his eyes.

"yes, of course we can. come on, you can stay in my room." you say and he tiredly nods.

he gets in the passenger seat of your car and plugs in his phone to aux before you can.

"play some sky high by lil skies." you request, starting the car and heading back to your house.

"that's my girl." chris smiles, putting on the song per request.

you smile back and sing along to the song.

"i've taught you so well." he says.

"that's what friends are for." you say, continuing the song.

chris feels a pang in his heart when you say 'friend.' he always knew he loved you, but couldn't tell if it was friendly love or romantic love.

due to the butterflies he always gets when around you, he kind of figured it was romantic love. he knew you didn't feel the same, so he pushed it back down without a second thought.

after the song was over, you had another request.

"can you play when i'm wasted please? you forced me to like skies now." you laugh, turning on the wipers as it started to rain.

"i fucking love you for that." chris smiles, looking down at his phone to put on the song.

the butterflies in your stomach get so intense that you swerve the car involuntarily. you don't know why though, you two said you loved each other all the time. this time just felt.. different.