pt.6

A few days passed as the necessary preparations were made for Xena's official coronation as the new Amazon queen. While such an event was usually a celebratory occasion, the village was uncharacteristically somber in the days leading up to the crowning. Which was understandable given the circumstances. Though the secret village had never hosted or witnessed the coronation of a new queen, fortunately Fauna had happened to had read some information on the ceremony. And Ephiny knew plenty as well due to being present when Gabrielle had first become queen. So there wasn't much trouble with preparing for the event. During that time Xena mostly stayed with Gabrielle as she took care of her and Aurora. Gabrielle had tried to convince her that she should focus more on her upcoming coronation, but Xena refused and insisted that she wanted to spend as much time as she could with Gabrielle while she could. Finally the day arrived as Xena stood looking out of the bedroom window as the villagers below finished the final last minute preparations. She watched as the dreary sky had finally given way to the rain that had been threatening to come down all morning.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) It's too bad it's gotta rain on your big day.

Xena turned to face Gabrielle who was lying in bed.

XENA
I think it's pretty fitting.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Come on don't say that. I know this isn't our finest hour, but I really think you becoming queen is gonna be a good thing.

XENA
You say that but I just don't share your vision for this one Gabrielle.

Xena sighed.

XENA
Last chance to change your mind about this. Are you really sure that making me queen is a good idea?

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Xena is your problem really with becoming queen or with the fact that it makes you have to face that my dying is real?

Xena didn't answer the question and didn't need to as she walked over and sat next to Gabrielle. They both already knew that Xena's main issue with the situation was primarily the latter.

XENA
I just don't know how I'm supposed to just go on with my life without you beside me. You know what you've done for me. You changed me. You're the light in my darkness. If it weren't for you I honestly don't know where I'd be now.

Gabrielle gave a weak smile.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You always give me too much credit when it comes how you've changed. You had already made that decision before we met.

XENA
Yes but you're the one who always helps me stay on the right path.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) You don't need me for that.

XENA
How can you be so sure.

Gabrielle reached up and gently stroked Xena's cheek.

GABRIELLE
(Weak tone) Because I knew you. I know the incredible, great woman you've become. I've seen how much your past still haunts you. No one who holds their past actions with so much pain and regret would go back to being that person so easily. Besides I know that you still remember that promise I had you make me quite some time ago.

Xena sighed as she remembered her promise she made when she and Gabrielle were in a particularly bad situation and it seemed like she might lose Gabrielle.