Finale

It was late in the day and the initial commotion of Gabrielle's return had largely settled down. The sun had just begun to set as Xena sat on the end of the bed back in their house just watching as Gabrielle held Aurora telling the baby girl a story. Feeling Xena's eyes on her Gabrielle looked up from the child in her arms.

GABRIELLE
What?

Xena smiled.

XENA
Nothing I just never thought I'd get to see you do this anymore.

Gabrielle gave a smile of her own.

GABRIELLE
Yeah me neither. But now I can. Because of you.

XENA
No it was your doing Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
Come on Xena I didn't do anything. All I know is that one minute I'm in the Elysian Fields and the next I'm looking up at the ceiling of a building then I sat up and saw you.

XENA
So you really were gone.

Gabrielle noticed Xena become thoughtful.

GABRIELLE
What's wrong?

Xena's smile returned as she brushed off the thought.

XENA
Nothing I was just thinking about something.

GABRIELLE
What Xena. Tell me. Dose it have something to do me actually dying?

XENA
It does but..

Still holding Aurora with one arm Gabrielle reached out and put her hand over Xena's that rested on Xena's lap.

GABRIELLE
It's okay Xena I'm fine now.

XENA
I know.

Xena turned her hand over and gripped Gabrielle's hand in hers.

XENA
It's difficult to explain because I'm not really sure what happened myself but I'll try.

Xena told Gabrielle about how she managed to kill Echidna. Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE
I knew you'd figure it out.

Xena looked at her for a moment with a slightly surprised expression before brushing off her surprise.

XENA
I guess that really wasn't just a dream after all.

GABRIELLE
I thought it might've been too at first but then after just hearing you talk about it, it proves that what happened must've been real.

XENA
But how? We've never had anything like that happen before.

Gabrielle thought for a moment.

GABRIELLE
Maybe not exactly, but do you remember when you died that one time and you're soul ended up in Autolycus' body?

Xena smirked.

XENA
Oh I remember.

The two reflected on the memory for a moment. It was that day when they finally realized their true feelings for one another. Which at the time had broken Gabrielle's heart due to not admitting just how much Xena meant to her until Xena had been killed in that terrible accident. But fortunately they were able to bring Xena back thanks to the ambrosia that Gabrielle had ventured to get.