pt.10

Crickets chirped as the group of Amazon's including Xena, sat around the campfire in the dark woods as they ate and Amelia filled Xena, Willow and Iris in on the situation that they had found themselves in.

XENA
Now what exactly is the reason for needing to call the Amazon queen for help?

AMELIA
Where should I start?

XENA
From the beginning would work.

Amelia put down her plate as she sighed and looked into the fire.

AMELIA
Honestly we didn't specify need you to come, we just wanted anyone who might be able to stop our people from being killed.

XENA
By who?

AMELIA
More like by what.

Xena sat quietly as she waited for Amelia to continue.

AMELIA
It all started about seven months ago. A group of our hunters were out tracking. I guess they came across some very strange looking tracks that weren't like anything that could normally be seen around these parts.

XENA
So it's some kind of beast then?

AMELIA
Yes but probably not like the kind you're thinking. These tracks were strange. They weren't made by paws or feet. It always looked as though something was being dragged. At first we thought it was something that flew and the marks were made by the people it was dragging off.

XENA
But it's actually the creatures that are making those tracks.

Amelia smirked.

AMELIA
You catch on quickly. I like that.

XENA
So we're likely dealing with a large serpent of some kind.

AMELIA
Yes but I don't think that's all there is to it though.

IRIS
Why do you say that?

AMELIA
This thing, whatever it is seems intelligent. Like it knows we're after it. I could swear I've heard it laughing at us when it got away once.

WILLOW
Have you actually seen it?

AMELIA
We're only caught a quick glimpse of it's silhouette in the shadows a couple of times. But that's it. No one has been able to get a good look at the thing.
(Sighing) At least no one that's survived to tell the tale anyway.

Everyone around the fire went silent for a few moments. As they sat there Xena thought about the information she'd just been given. Finally Xena broke the silence.

XENA
I've never seen one but based on what you've said it could be something like a gorgon.

ARIA
A gorgon? You mean like Madussa?

XENA
Exactly.

Mia scoffed.

MIA
You can't be serious. Madussa was killed ages ago by Perseus. We've all heard the stories about it.

XENA
I said "a" gorgon. Which is the type of creature that Madussa was. You do realize that there are more than one don't you?