pt.25

As fast as the group traveled, the trip back to the secret village still felt far too long for Xena. Hooves pounded the dirt as Xena, Willow and Iris finaly spotted the hidden entrance to the village in the distance. The group stopped to give their horses a quick break as Xena watched the waterfall in silence as her thoughts went to Gabrielle.

XENA
(Thinking to herself) I'm home Gabrielle. I made it back. Just a little longer and everything will be alright.

After the brief rest, the group made the final stretch home. Recognizing the trio the village guards opened the way for them to enter before they had even reached the falls. Seeing this Xena kept Argo at a full gallop as she passed through the village entrance with Iris and Willow close behind. None of them noticed the look that the guards had given Xena as they rushed by. Finally inside the village Xena slowed Argo to a trot to not actually run anyone over as she made her way to the village square. Not even waiting for Argo to completely come to a stop, Xena practically jumped down from the saddle as she saw a large crowd gathered together. Her heart skipped a beat as she hoped that it didn't mean what she thought it meant. Xena left Argo as she began moving towards the crowd. Ephiny who was standing in the back heard footsteps and turned around to see Xena.

EPHINY
(Sad tone) Xena you're back.

XENA
Ephiny please don't tell me this is what I think it is.

Ephiny could hear the desperation in Xena's voice as she searched for the night thing to say.

EPHINY
(Sad tone) Xena, I'm sorry.

Xena felt a sinking feeling in her chest as she didn't want to believe what she was hearing.

XENA
No.. no she can't be gone. Not yet. I wasn't here.

Ephiny could see the storm within Xena brewing as she wasn't sure what Xena would do next. It was no secret that Xena had gone off the deep end in the past when she was faced with incredible grief. Ephiny tread carefully in and effect to defuse the ticking time bomb that she knew had been sparked within Xena.

EPHINY
It just happened last night. I know it's of little comfort right now but just so you know she went peacefully Xena. She was unconscious and didn't feel anything.

Xena didn't say anything as she felt her legs give out and she dropped to her knees as she let out an anguished yell that echoed throughout the village. Finally making it to the group after Xena had charged ahead, Iris and Willow saw Xena fall and cry out, instantly they knew what had happened. That Gabrielle had died. No one said anything for a bit as Xena wept. Ephiny crouched down beside Xena and hugged her friend as Xena cried.

XENA
(Crying) No, Gabrielle. I was too late. I was too late.

After a bit Xena managed to pull herself together enough to speak coharently.

XENA
Where's Aurora?

EPHINY
She's fine. Skyla and Clover are with her.

Knowing that her and Gabrielle's daughter was okay, Xena moved on to the heartbreaking matter at hand.

XENA
And Gabrielle?

EPHINY
We moved her body to the village hall to prepare for the funeral ceremony.

Xena looked at Ephiny with a very unhappy look on her face that wasn't only about Gabrielle being dead.