Chapter 3

Dominic

"Where has that bastard Martel been hiding this precious gem for so long?" Teodoro ranted, washing down his fifth glass of vintage in one go.

With a deep controlled sigh, I slowly clenched my fist tightly, following his preying eyes.

Of course, he was looking at her as she wandered around the paid actors and actresses disguised as guests, worry lacing her face. I didn't want to imagine the horrendous things he'd already done with her in his deluded mind.

Even when clothed in black from head to toe, Sofia had an inexplicably dazzling ray of light radiating from her, a light I strongly felt alluded to her true self.

She just didn't exude the dark aura Teodoro strictly forced on her.

"Was black really necessary and that ravens' freak show with creatures crawling beneath her feet?" I grumbled, wandering my eyes back to the smirking man I was cursed to have as a father.

One would think the wedding was his since he'd singlehandedly been planning every step of his master plan carefully for weeks since the mysterious demise of Darius Martel.

Initially, the wedding truly was his to Darius' widow, Cayetana Martel, but out of the blue, he woke up feeling like I was of age to marry either of the Martel daughters and prove I had his blood running through my veins.

In all the twenty-six years of my life, I hadn't imagined myself marrying anyone anytime soon, that too, a woman like Sofia.

I was raised to be merciless, cold and heartless. Looking into those innocent milky pools of the most uncommonly striking green eyes I'd ever seen vividly reflected the delicate nature of the woman I'd just married.

She was a delicate flower, blooming, colourful and sweet-scented yet forcefully hoisted amidst bristly thorns.

One habitual harsh word in an endearing tone or malicious act towards her and I'd break her, freezing her heart completely with my coldness and turning her into the monster I was.

If I could, I'd rewrite her destiny myself and fate her with someone more deserving, but then again, the possessiveness seed was already sprouting somewhere deep inside and inaccessible. She was mine now and I had to deal with it one way or the other.

"Was giving her an embarrassingly insignificant peck on the cheek necessary when I clearly ordered a full-on make-out session at that altar, Dom?" Teodoro entreated gruffly, motioning at a waitress for a refill.

Taking another deep controlled sigh was inevitable. His orders had been clear, but a switch I never knew existed inside me flipped right there standing before Sofia, seconds away from devouring those full kiss-inspiring lips she boasted both out of curiosity of what she tasted like and to feed my rampant libido.

Asking for her consent first and waiting for her reply so patiently was living proof the vibrant woman's pull had an extraordinary catch to it. We hadn't even spoken to each other yet she was already fucking up my entire personality.

I suddenly became considerate and reasonable in a few seconds, looking into her eyes. It wouldn't be too surprising that would be her first kiss.

What right did I have to selfishly steal it from her at the altar right after a thousand other orders had already been shoved down her throat since the contract had been signed?

Freedom of choice and consent were the only gifts I could bestow upon her right now.

My sudden silence drew Teodoro to put his hand on my shoulder with a gentle squeeze. "Look, Son," he chuckled. "Do not take this marriage as a death sentence. It's a gift wrapped with a perfect bow for you to enjoy. You just sit still, relax and let my plan unfold. Enjoy your wife. Use her roughly at your disposal and when you get bored of her, pass her on to your old man and I'll turn her into a Bernardi slave."