Chapter 23

SOFIA

𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

I hammered my tightly clenched fist so hard into the punching bag that I felt power glide through my core.

Three months. Three fucking months of tears, blood and constant torture, yet Teodoro Bernardi wasn't reducing his level of ruthlessness by the slightest inch.

If anything, his dominion multiplied by the day, aided by over seventy-five percent of my family assets he'd cruelly taken over, diving half of those among his children and keeping the rest to himself for bragging rights.

He'd made sure to plunge us further into bankruptcy in the process no matter how much he tried to phrase his takeover, dragging everyone's lives into the mud.

Natalie had to be suffering the greater end of the ordeal ever since she boldly grabbed Teodoro by the balls when he attempted to fuck her to puppetry and submission.

She could barely live through a single day without dealing with a misfortune or two and the worst part was I couldn't do anything to help her without risking worsening her situation.

It pained me so much seeing my own blood struggle so much to defend her dignity and lie idle, protecting her from a distance despite how much I burned to help her out.

Ava's situation had a paradoxical effect on my energy to keep on plummeting my fist hard into the leather bag that'd easily turned into my rant and rave channel since I figured there was no other way I could deal with the bitterness inside me without repercussions.

She was on her third surgery and counting, all of which improved little to nothing on her limb mobility. It broke me watching her fade away and lose hope with every procedure, her words faltering from little to less than the bare minimum.

She was there yet she wasn't and thinking of how she was letting herself go so painfully had me sobbing in the shower at midnight and still mustering the courage to smile through every word I'd tell her in the morning.

I hated the way her life had been affected so terribly at such a young, blooming age and the woman who'd given her hope through the first few weeks before the Bernardi invasion wasn't exactly there anymore, swayed away by the deceitful charm of a vengeful man.

I'd tried so many times to understand my mother's perspective and how she could still share an intimate relationship with the man snatching everything precious away from her.

At some point, I'd remembered her to be the softest woman I knew, loving and highly maternal, but lately, she seemed to prioritise her womanly needs more.

Despite Olivia taking on most of her roles and meeting up with countless specialist doctors for Ava's sake, she still had no shame in having a scandalous affair with her husband and assuming a spousal role.

If anything, everything happening proved just how unfair life was. The good people always had to take major blows at their pride and dignity while the rotten eggs feasted and trampled on their inferiors.

The huge diamond on my finger fuelled my energy further, pushing me to grunt deeply as my punches grew harder and painful, beads of sweat rolling down my forehead and bare heaving chest.

Dominic freaking Bernardi. The man who'd put a ring on my finger and given me so much hope in our marriage it was beginning to eat me alive the more he was absent when I needed him.

I'd barely known my own husband in the past three months, his absence stronger and harder to take the more I thought of him being next to his father and bonding with him over fucking up my family.