Chapter 37

Sofia

The drive to Dominic's condo took us nearly twenty minutes, and now, we stood by the door, patiently waiting for Greta to open it.

Everything felt real now that I could hear footsteps approaching from inside, and I was beginning to overthink and overanalyse things.

My socialising skills had improved, but they still sucked, especially since it was Dominic's little sister and I wanted to form a meaningful relationship with her but still feared she didn't like me.

The feeling was something I couldn't describe, but one thing was for sure. My palms felt sweaty, and I was nervous.

I looked up at Dominic, smiling politely to shield my nervousness. "Maybe I should wait for you downstairs in the car while you two talk things through," I suggested.

Dominic reached for my hand and laced our fingers, gazing at me softly. "Don't be nervous, Sofia. I'll be there and nothing could go wrong. What better way to get to know each other than this?"

I could name a thousand things that could go wrong, but I maintained my smile, releasing the frustration contained inside me through a controlled breath.

I trusted him and his judgement. Maybe he was right and there was nothing to be afraid of. I just needed to step out of my comfort zone and put myself out there.

The heavy footsteps from inside got louder with every passing second. She had to be in heavy boots unless it was someone else because there was no way she'd make so much noise.

The footsteps quietened shortly before the door was unlocked and pulled open.

The corners of my lips rose into a small smile I could muster, my free fist lightly clenched for encouragement, but the events that followed wiped my smile off my face entirely, confusion settling in.

Dominic lurched forward as whoever had been opening the door tried slamming it shut in his face. He was swift enough to push the door open with a loud bang and grab the man at the door gruffly by the collar before he dragged him out.

I stepped aside in full panic mode, watching as Dominic slammed him into the wall, colliding his fist hard with the man's face.

His nose was busted instantly, blood oozing from his nostrils as he tried to shield his face, struggling to dodge Dominic's punches.

To say I was shocked and confused would be an understatement. To make things worse, I didn't even know what to do and I didn't attempt to stop him. He was furious and beastly in a state I'd never seen him in. I wasn't afraid of him, no. I was just so surprised I couldn't move.

The man he was taking out his rage on looked slightly older than him, if not his age. He was dressed casually but decently and didn't appear to be a burglar or anything requiring self-defence.

They seemed to know each other, and the way he wasn't fighting back and mumbling some incoherent words I couldn't decipher told me I was missing something important.

"Dom!" a loud shriek resounded as Greta trotted out of the condo, water dripping from her body and hair.

She was in a white robe with a knot she was fumbling to tie as she went straight towards the commotion with knitted brows, her hair natural and curly with water dripping from it. She must have been fresh from the shower.

"Dom, what the fuck is wrong with you?!" she yelled, gripping onto him by his arms. "Let go of him this instant!" she demanded aggressively, struggling to get him off.

Between them two, I wasn't sure who was more fierce and aggressive.

Dominic lashed back at her, standing straight with a warning finger pointed at her. "Stay the fuck out of this, Greta."