Chapter 13

SOFIA

The strong feelings I was beginning to intimately nurture for my husband in my heart were something I could neither understand nor fully admit because they frightened me to some extent.

I knew he was a busy man with loads of problems to deal with, both personal and business-related, but somehow, I was beginning to notice every single detail in the past few days of our honeymoon and feel for him.

Today had been the worst, seeing the stress swimming in his gorgeous eyes and the tension in his muscles when I held him in my arms.

I had a deep yearning to know what was bothering him so much and help him soothe away his stress in any way possible. I wanted my grasp on his muscular frame to melt away his stress and give him a sense of serenity I felt he deeply desired.

I wanted to be his safe haven, a place where his darkness could be turned into light and misery into joy. I just had too many wishes and cravings since I'd met him, lately mostly the desire to try out an actual relationship with him.

I couldn't tell what was going through Dominic's mind as we walked down the sideway and I had no idea how he truly felt about our relationship yet. Anything could change.

He could change and so could I. Nothing was guaranteed that fact was giving me chills, especially after my most recent discoveries.

Dominic was taking me to a mobile tech store to buy a new phone under the pretence of a gift. He must have somehow found out his father had hacked into my phone and tried to be subtle about it without scaring me or ruining the mood.

I had found out barely a few minutes ago when Teodoro sent me a couple of inappropriate texts and threats as well as some private information from my phone I wouldn't want in the hands of a predator like him.

He was a shameless man in every sense of the word, hitting on his daughter-in-law in a filthy paragraph about everything he intended to do to me once we got back to New York. His words made my skin crawl and my brain freeze and thaw at the same time.

He had no respect whatsoever for his son and he seemed to want to paint him a monster in my head. He'd repeated over and over again that Dominic wasn't who he seemed to be and I'd regret warming up to him in any way.

He was threatening me in a sugar-coated way to flush away any humane feelings I'd developed towards him because he wasn't worth it.

How could a father say such horrible things about his own son? I wished I'd be completely surprised by such behaviour, but growing up the way I had with my own father, I believed anything was possible.

Maybe that was why Dom was an uptight person, shutting everyone and everything out. He'd been raised by a vicious monster fighting to imprint himself on him.

I clenched my cell phone in a hand a little bit tighter, recalling all the texts I'd received before shutting it down.

I hadn't told Dominic yet because I felt ashamed and embarrassed. I felt sick about the entire situation and it felt inappropriate.

However, I knew better than to keep things from him at the foundation of our marriage. Shameful as it was, he had to know to avoid misunderstandings and unnecessary speculations.

I picked up my pace a little, matching Dominic's pace with Liam right behind us with some of my shopping bags.

I inwardly took a deep breath as I felt our shoulders lightly brush before his knuckles rubbed against mine. My fingers involuntarily twitched, spreading apart slightly as they brushed against Dominic's.