Chapter 24

SOFIA

"Do you think perhaps he forgot we were supposed to make an entrance together?" I sighed, sagging my partly exposed shoulders lower. "Maybe we should just leave and call it a day."

Raquel and I had been waiting for Dominic in the car since our arrival at the venue of Teodoro's grand charity gala.

It'd nearly been half an hour and boredom had already begun sinking hard enough to make me regret showing up in the first place.

Raquel's signature smile widened a little as she placed her hand on top of mine gently. "Of course not, Sofie," she encouraged optimistically. "He is not that type of man and I just spoke to Liam, by the way. They're running a little late and should be here within ten minutes."

I wasn't sure if the assurance made me relaxed or extra nervous. Tonight would be our first official public appearance together since our wedding nearly four months ago.

The other time we'd gone out together had been to induct me into the board of the Bernardi conglomerate though I'd barely been allowed to be at the office often for reasons best known to Teodoro.

Back then, it'd only been with employees around who undoubtedly feared their boss and wouldn't dare say or show anything negative about the company heir's wife.

Now, it was a wider scope with more strangers to judge me and tear me apart online. I knew I wasn't built for this world of being in the spotlight because the slightest idea of being publicly scrutinised made my stomach churn.

"Hey," Raquel cooed, squeezing my hand gently. "Stop worrying yourself so much, okay? You'll do great and everyone will love you, plus, Sir Dominic will be with you so don't have to worry about anything at all."

I grumbled softly, loosely folding my arm. "I don't want to see him, worse spend the entire night next to him."

It'd been hours since our last encounter and hours since I'd nearly broken down over failing to drive myself to the edge.

The frustration was just too much to take all of a sudden, the urges too strong to silence. He wasn't making anything better.

"For what it's worth," Raquel started, "Natalie got a decent job in Seattle with good rewards. She should have landed by now and contact you once she's settled in."

I furrowed my brows. "That's impossible. Teodoro wouldn't allow it unless he has a hidden agenda for sending her so far from his grasp."

"It is impossible," Raquel nodded in agreement, "unless someone made it possible by pleasing your father to the extent of him being benevolent enough to let your sister off the hook temporarily."

I cocked a brow, reading between the lines. "I'm all ears."

"Whatever happened between you two in that gym room must have been pleasing enough for your father-in-law," Raquel elaborated. "Yes, he was watching everything from a close range, feeding on your despair and I'm sure Sir Dominic only did as asked of him to meet the demands of your sister's release."

I had mixed feelings about his compliance with his father's orders. Of course, I was grateful he was doing everything possible to help out my family, but everything was at the expense of our relationship. The farther he drifted from me, the deeper the knife sunk in to carve out my heart.

I was so conflicted about everything it mentally hurt. Despite how bitter I was towards him, I knew he had to be going through worse. He wasn't a bad man and I was confident about that fact. He was merely a victim of the blood coursing through his veins.