Chapter 16

DOMINIC

I'd never panicked so much in my entire life, my heart hammering consistently in my chest like a ticking bomb.

I didn't expect he'd go that far, not in this lifetime with his own child. Guess I didn't know him after all and I underestimated his hunger for revenge and dominion.

Pulling up in the driveway of the Bernardi main residence seventeen hours after the fateful call felt like my biggest achievement despite the exhaustion and stress gnawing ruthlessly at my shredded sanity.

As soon as the vehicle came to a halt, I opened the door in a bid to slip out and hunt for Teodoro. A gentle grasp on my left knee jerked me back to reality, my head tilting to my side.

She'd been worried sick, even more than me at some point, since we embarked on our journey back home. Her reaction to the entire situation showed me what kind of a person she was generally.

She didn't even know Greta personally, but her concern felt real and resounding. Maybe she could finally see the impending danger milliseconds away, the intensity of monstrous behaviour we were facing.

There were some very bad days coming our way and I wasn't sure I was fully equipped to deal with the ultimatums.

I put my hand on Sofia's knee, giving her a gentle squeeze as I leaned back close to her. "Promise me you won't leave this car until I come to get you personally," I literally begged her, desperation choking my voice.

Sofia's eyes moistened, disapproval written boldly on her face as she reached for my hand and laced our fingers. "Dominic, please."

"Liam's right here with you," I assured her, "and he'll keep you safe so don't worry about anything, okay?"

"It's you I'm worried about," she divulged feebly, pressing her forehead into mine. "Promise me you'll be safe. Please."

The pain in her voice echoed deep into my core. I closed my eyes, cupping the back of her head with my free hand while pressing my forehead gently into hers.

Only heaven knew when I'd get to hold her like this again, feel her presence and inhale her homely scent. Would we ever get a chance to again without sanctions?

We had to. I'd fight for it.

"I promise," I whispered.

I opened my eyes before drawing away from Sofia and pressing a deep heartfelt kiss to her forehead. "I'll be right back, Sofia," I promised her. "All is well."

Sofia nodded lightly, tears nearly bursting from her eyes. "I'll hold onto your words."

With a heavy heart, I exited the car and walked towards the bolted double doors, tucking the sleeves of my shirt to my elbows and unbuttoning the collar buttons.

I felt hot, fear, rage and confusion scalding and roasting my sense of composure. This wasn't a game. My sister's life was on the line at the hands of our father.

The doors were pulled open just before I could do it myself and I stepped in panicking, looking around the hallway.

"Where is he?" I demanded, stepping further inside.

A maid scurried after me, struggling to keep up with my pace. "In his study, Sir, and he was expecting your wife as well," she informed me, urgency and panic evident in her voice.

I ignored her, picking up my pace and hurrying up the stairs to the first floor where Teodoro's study was.

Reaching the floor had more guilt gnawing at my conscious than I could have ever imagined.