Chapter 4

𝑺𝑶𝑭𝑰𝑨

Wrapping my arms warmly around Ava and inhaling her sweet homely scent made tears prick my eyes and a flood of relief and achievement wash over my senses.

There was no way I'd ever leave without getting this strengthening farewell.

"I thought you'd left already," she choked, wrapping her arms around me a little bit tighter. "It hurt so much."

I could feel the pain edged with relief in her voice. This was what I'd fought to avoid and now that I was here talking to her, I felt like I hadn't failed her.

I slipped my hands off her back as she did the same and I crouched right in front of her, holding her soft hands.

"I'd never do that to you, Ava," I promised, smiling through the few tears I shed. "I'd rather die than leave without talking to you first."

"Is he nice to you? Does he speak to you? Why are you dressed in black when a bride is supposed to be in white?" she asked me in panic, concern lacing her voice.

She cared for me as much as I cared for her. That care swimming in her eyes made it all feel worth it. I'd do it all over just to see that sweet smile on her face shine brighter than ever.

"Hey," I cooed, cupping her face with my hand. "I don't want you to worry about me okay? I'll be fine. You just focus on getting better and Mom, Natalie and I will handle the rest."

Ava shook her head, more tears pouring from her eyes. "He's being cold to you, isn't he? That's why you won't talk about him."

She was wrong. If anything, Dominic hadn't been as cold and heartless as people described him judging from our interaction nearly half an hour ago.

If he were truly a heartless man, he wouldn't have been considerate enough to bring me home, carry me in his arms when he realised my toes were sore and given me a couple of minutes to talk to Ava like I was now.

Deep down, I felt like he was a misunderstood man who could be really warm if he wanted to unless he was just putting up an act.

"Dominic isn't as cold as they said he'd be," I assured Ava. "I think he's just not a social butterfly and honestly neither am I. I think we'll get along just fine."

The last part wasn't sincere. I wasn't sure of what his perspective of me was. He'd literally seen me bawl like a baby and hiccup a few minutes later.

I felt so embarrassed of myself recalling those memories. He probably thought I was a child, an immature woman with no sense of a grip over her emotions.

I simply got emotional because I hadn't imagined the separation would be that abrupt with no farewell. If only he knew how much my family meant to me, he'd probably understand why I got emotional over leaving without saying goodbye.

Ava's lips widened into a small smile. "I'll take your word for that," she said, using her free hand to wipe away my tears. "Mom thought you'd be in a hurry if you dropped by, so we packed you a few things you might need. She said you'd go shopping once you landed on the island so there was no need to overdo it."

I looked at the suitcase by the door with a grateful smile. I trusted whatever they had packed would be efficient for at least the first couple of days.

My fashion sense was good according to most people I knew. I just wasn't sure my outfits would fit the class of a billionaire's wife.

"Where's Mom?" I asked, recalling I hadn't seen her downstairs either when I entered the house. "She wasn't at the wedding either."