Chapter 38

Sofia

He wasn't talking to me and it was eating me alive.

It had been hours since we left Greta and went back to the villa and Dominic hadn't spoken much no matter how hard I tried to initiate a conversation.

We'd gone to bed early around eight and now at two in the morning, I lay awake next to him, facing his back.

I knew he wasn't sleeping no matter how hard he tried to make it seem so. Heck, I'd pretended to be asleep myself half an hour into getting into bed while he held me before withdrawing from me once he thought I'd drifted off to sleep.

I couldn't guess or try to understand what he was going through. I'd never been able to completely understand the dynamics of his relationship with his little sister, although I knew they had immense love for each other. 

Now, things seemed even more complicated and I felt even more confused and curious.

Lying here and overthinking probably as much as he was wasn't going to help either of us in any way. I was his wife and I had certain standards I'd set for myself including shedding some light into his life. 

For that to happen, he needed to open up to me and let me in first. We needed to communicate our feelings more openly and I was willing to take the first step.

I quietly pushed myself towards his side of the bed, lying my head on his pillow. I slowly moved my forearm next, draping it around his waist and smoothening my hand over his muscles through his t-shirt as high as I could get it below his chest.

With equal hesitance, I lifted my head onto his shoulder, lying on him gently while I tried gazing at his face.

"Dom," I called out to him softly, gently stroking the portion of his torso my hand covered. "Are you okay? I'm worried about you."

Of course, he wasn't okay, but I needed verbal assurance from him. I was ready to even sound stupid for it as long as he'd speak to me.

For a few seconds, he neither moved nor spoke to me and I felt slightly demotivated, but when I felt his hand move to cover the back of mine, a soft smile touched my lips.

Dominic laced our fingers before lifting our held hands to his lips. "I'm sorry," he spoke before softly kissing the exposed part of my fingers. "I'll be okay."

I softly sighed, relaxing my muscles as I lay on his shoulder. "Should I call Liam and ask him to check whether Greta is safe?" I offered thoughtfully.

"No," he responded quietly. "She'll be fine. She needs to learn."

She needed to learn her lesson, but not at the expense of his peace of mind. He'd been through so much already and I felt it was unfair to keep mounting stress on him.

"But you're so worried you can't even sleep. Should I try Olivia instead? Maybe Greta took heed of your advice and decided to go home," I reasoned.

He was hesitant for a short while as though he was deep in thought. "I don't know, Sofia. I just have too much going through my mind right now."

I understood him and how tough of a place he was in. I could be his helper in the meantime and try and figure out what was going on outside these four walls.

I carefully withdrew my hand from his and sat up straight while I dragged myself to the edge of the bed.

"Where are you going?" he asked me the instant I pulled away from him, panic lacing his voice.

I walked towards the large ottoman stool and plopped onto it, facing the bed while I grabbed my handbag.

Dominic sat up in bed now, his eyes attentively on me. I spoke to him while looking through my handbag for my phone.