Chapter 20

DOMINIC

"I just got off the phone with Raquel," Liam reported, jolting all my weary senses to instant hyperactivity.

I never knew such simple words could charge so much energy into my system, adrenaline pumping wildly into my veins with my heart pounding madly in my chest as though it'd leap out any second.

I scrambled to my feet, my fist tightly clenched and hammered onto my office desk. "Is my wife okay? Is she safe? Has she eaten yet?" I blurted so fast that even I couldn't fully comprehend the questions I shot at the baffled man.

"For fuck's sake," Greta grumbled, slamming the magazine she'd been monotonously reading for hours face down on my desk as she shot up. "Chill the fuck out or I might start thinking you actually have real feelings for her which would be ridiculously out of character of you."

I ignored her easily habitually growing remark, my attention anchored on Liam. "Speak," I demanded, lightly banging my fist on the desk.

"Well, Sir," he hesitated, adjusting the frame of his spectacles as his eyes wandered to the ground. "She went over to her mother's earlier today."

That was only natural given she spoke of missing her family. Seeing her little sister in a terrible medical condition must have shaken her up a lot, but I had a feeling there was more to the visit than Liam was hesitantly letting on.

"And?" I asked in a controlled tone, fighting to rip his throat open and snatch the words out of him. Yes, I felt that impatient after gruesome hours of constant worry and spirit-devouring guilt.

Liam lifted his eyes to me, his light fist-clench reporting he was about to drop a bomb. "Your father happened to be there," his tone became whispery and softer.

The paper beneath my hand slowly crumbled into my trembling hand. "Did he touch even a single strand of her hair?" I asked venomously, contempt dripping from my deepening voice.

Liam visibly swallowed before finally speaking up. "He hit her and she didn't take it too well and now--"

"Fuck," I cursed sharply, hammering my fist so hard on the desk it loudly banged before cracks formed on impact.

I'd never been consumed by so much rage and bitterness, blood rushing everywhere in my body and radiating so much heat onto my skin that I felt like I was burning.

Fuck the stupid plan. Fuck whatever bullshit deal he'd manipulated us into. He'd gone against his word and violently touched her and that was where I drew the line.

I roughly grabbed my phone and charged towards the door, determined to leave and go to her. I had to see her. I needed to see her so fucking bad I couldn't wait anymore.

I'd fucked up already, ignoring her and acting like I gave no shit when deep down it was eating me alive. The day itself had been hell, my mind wandering to her every second.

I didn't want to do this to her. I never wanted to, but I had to do what I felt she'd be most comfortable with despite how painful it would be. I knew her priorities and how much her family meant to her.

Heck, she'd married me for her little sister and what good would come out of sacrificing her for a relationship still in its foundation?

Some sacrifices needed to be made, and this one, I was willing to make to keep her loved ones safe, but not at the expense of her wellness.

I strode towards the door, seconds away from grabbing the handle when Greta slipped between the small gap, blocking my passage. "Excuse you?" she scolded furiously. "Where the fuck do you think you're going?"